+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Hot Water Heater Emergency Temperature/Pressure Valve replacement

I did a google image search for exploded HWH's and found only one. If this were a more common occurence, there would be many many more.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    I did a google image search for exploded HWH's and found only one. If this were a more common occurence, there would be many many more.
    Houston,

There were more than 1 case of water heater explosions in the history of tank water heaters. The Santa Monica explosion is not on google - does it mean it never happened? Not every case is on google I guess.

Like smoking near a gas pump - chances are that nothing will happen, still we all prefer not to smoke while filling up.

Why take a chance if a new T&P valve is less than $10?

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Houston,

There were more than 1 case of water heater explosions in the history of tank water heaters. The Santa Monica explosion is not on google - does it mean it never happened? Not every case is on google I guess.

Like smoking near a gas pump - chances are that nothing will happen, still we all prefer not to smoke while filling up.

Why take a chance if a new T&P valve is less than $10?
    This exactly. The one I saw isn't on the net because it happened in the late 60's and they had no insurance coverage and were where no building inspections were done so there was never any documentation created, just several blown-out walls on the inside and a huge one (about 15 feet wide) in back. Had anyone been home they would have been dead. So yeah, test it and replace it.

The odds are in your favor without testing but you're betting your life- do you really wanna do that?

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    A true horror story:

A "plumber" replaced a large water heater in an apartment building in Santa Monica a few years ago. The new water heater came without a T&P valve, so he plugged the hole tight. Subsequently, the water heater blew up very shortly after that, killing 10 tenants.

Moral of the story: don't tamper with the valve and make sure it works properly.
    He was not a real plummber.