+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Hot Water Heater Emergency Temperature/Pressure Valve replacement

I watched ask this old house and they said you have to test your emergency t/p valve once a year. I never knew that before. When I tried it, it was hard to open and then after it let it close, it started to leak just as Tom said on the show. Luckily, it is only about a $15 part that is pretty easy to replace though there is more water in the top of the tank than I thought and I made a bit of a mess. Even though I've never had a water tank explode, I feel better knowing that this relief valve is working properly.

Thanks!

Default Re: Hot Water Heater Emergency Temperature/Pressure Valve replacement

Your concern is justified.

Have you successfully replaced your temp & pressure valve?

I have been around for a long time and I don't understand just what this test is trying to prove. In over 50 years I have never seen a relief valve that didn't open when lifting the lever but I have seen many that once opened they don't reseat. Just how would this test prove it's not in working order? I wish I had a nickel for every relief valve I have changed because someone decided to opened it.
    Last edited by johnjh2o; 10-29-2013 at 10:45 PM.
    John

What John said plus;

1- I have seen ancient and new T&P valves blow when needed. I have never seen an exploded water tank. The valves do their jobs well.

2- Is your T&P valve piped to a safe location so when the valve releases it doesn't flood the house or burn anyone?

it is not really a test. the idea is to open it every so often to make sure it doesn't seize up. also if you open it regularly it wont leak after you close it. there was a water heater that blew near us about 8 years ago and it blew the from wall of the two story house off the foundation. it doesn't happen often but when it does it is bad.. the reason is that both the high limit switch and the relief valve both have to fail which rarely happens but it can so why not just open the valve occasionally to be on the safe side

Periodic opening lets water get up in the T&P valve, evaporate, and leave deposits. Those deposits is what can cause a valve failure.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

A true horror story:

A "plumber" replaced a large water heater in an apartment building in Santa Monica a few years ago. The new water heater came without a T&P valve, so he plugged the hole tight. Subsequently, the water heater blew up very shortly after that, killing 10 tenants.

Moral of the story: don't tamper with the valve and make sure it works properly.