+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: 3 Inch Cast Iron Drain Pipe to 3 Inch PVC at Coupler slight leak?

Thanks the gap between the cast iron pipe and the PVC is maybe 1/2 inch if not less. The cast Iron as paint on it has for many years prior to me buying the home...

You are the "first" to suggest putting kind of sealant or anything on the cast iron pipe. This is interesting no one has suggest that.

Have the new Banded Coupler as the one prior look to be the same just have to pick up some fine or medium grit emery cloth to sand the cast iron pipe just to be sure it is smooth. My local HD did not have it, going to hit an auto parts store, check several HD in the area and none carry the emery cloth. Guess they just don't have the demand for it though you see plumbers using it to rough up copper pipe and fittings to get any thing off the pieces.

Once I have the emery cloth and pulled the old coupler off. I will install the new one...

And see if it works...

Thanks for the information....

MMeehan

Any sandpaper will do here. The reason plumbers use emery cloth is that it lasts a lot longer and isn't prone to tearing when used like they do- and the 2" strips are easier to use around plumbing.

While my recommendation for sealant isn't "on the books" anywhere, it is how I've solved a few persistent leaks and it seems to work so long as you have enough solid and uncoated area for the coupler to 'bite' to for physical attachment. Silicone is slippery so you can't slather it on and not wipe it or the coupling might slide off.

Though I haven't tried it yet, I think a more ideal sealant here would be Yamabond4, a proprietary non-hardening sealer made for motorcycles. "Threebond" also makes a similar product now. That stuff has some amazing sealing powers at (non-recommended) thickness that leave other sealers failing. It's non-hardening, sticky as heck, and resistant to about anything except strong acids. Outside of motorcycle mechanic work it's practically unknown but those in that industry swear by it.

Phil

Thanks for the information but now that I have looked at it the PVC does not more up down left or right so getting the new Coupler in place will be a bit tricky to slide in place with not way yo move either of the pipes not that they are fixed in place I see why they fit everything in place the added the PVC that goes up first because there is not way to tip the PVC off a little and lift it up and slide in into the new coupler...Being both the PVC Pipe and the Cast Iron Pipes are solidly in place and no movement at all in any direction looks like I am in for a little more than just changing the Coupler looks like I will have to some how cut the PVC or something because there is no room to get the Coupler in there with tearing the rubber part to connect to one pipe and then the other. never like plumbing guess I am just going to have to cut it where it comes over to the pipe running down and re cement / glue it in hopefully in the coupler overhead and place with a new pvc Couple once I have the fernco coupler in place and tip it into to align it with the other section of PVC.

Just move trips to the HD for parts and pvc cement...

MMeehan

There you go, I'm sure you can force it in.

It's like forcing a coupling between a couple of sprinkler pipes.

With effort, you can get a Fernco coupler on with maybe a 3/4" gap. It's going to need shoving, a dull flathead screwdriver or two, and maybe some liquid soap on the PVC or that end of the coupling. Take the clamps off first, slide them on the pipes past where you're working taping them out of the way as needed. Or unscrew them fully and wrap them back on when the coupler is in place. If you use a sheathed "hubless" connector you'll need a lot more space and the clamps are probably riveted in place making it even more fun.

When working on plumbing in an existing structure, please be sure to keep all children away from the work area. No, not just for their safety- it's because you don't want them to hear the words you may find yourself saying And now you know why I don't like doing that kind of plumbing work

Phil

There might be easy but both the PVC and the Cast Iron Pipes are SOLID in place there is no way to move them in any direction. And the way they put it place when it was changed to PVC from Cast Iron they put the 90 as the last piece having the Coupler in place on the cast iron and put the pvc in and then adding in the 90 as the last piece they glued in. I will have to cut the pvc just away from the 90 where it heads for the toilet and tub drain. I loosen the coupler and could not move the pvc pipe an 1/4 of an inch up and as stated if it is 1/2 between them now I would be lucky but neither will bung in any direct. So I will have to cut the PVC with my sawzall and push it up to replace it I am going to also check the edges on the cast iron and see if there is any burrs that might have rub the rubber part and is causing the leaks it is on 2 sides about 2 inches apart of the 3 inch cast iron pipe.

I appreciate the suggestions but I just need a 3 inch PVC Couple and some cleaner & PVC Cement Glue and it will be good just waiting for the weather to warm up some maybe 40 degrees on a weekend so if I have any issues I can make my three trips to HD for the stuff since I am good with Electrical but plumbing I have never had much luck with even when I added an Aprilaire Furnace Humidifier the pvc tubing would always leak when I would turn it back on after being off over the summer months it is now copper line and no issue but that was a multi trip to HD trying several different plastic connectors and then just got the copper line and fittings and redid it... No more leaks and that has been 7 years now...

Again thanks for all the advice...

MMeehan

Something that might help you on the PVC is a "Slip coupler"- regular couplers have a ridge in the middle which stops the coupler from going more than half-way onto a pipe. "Slip couplers" are totally smooth inside and can be slid flush with the end of the pipe. You may have to go to a plumbing supply for that part, I don't know if the big box stores carry them. Anytime you use a slip coupler be very liberal with the glue so there's enough on it when you slide it into it's final position and be sure it's mid-way to both pipe ends

Phil

the correct coupling need is what is called a CP33 Since cast iron is smaller outside diameter than sched 40 PVC. The reason it may have started leaking is the fernco was old when it was put on or it simply was not torqued the correct amount

The CP-33 by Mission Rubber is not a readily available coupler as the Fernco one is. I could only find the Mission Rubber CP-33 at Amazon and the Mission Price on their website is close 16.00 but Amazon is 21.00 plus the S&H. Checked a couple of other sellers Websites though they have a link suggesting they carry it they don't but carry Fernco or they are out of stock? The Fernco is 8.00 and available at many places including HD.

Thanks for suggestion I will keep looking but it is not as readily available.

MMeehan

While there may be a better-sized connector for this, fernco's have always worked well for me in similar situations. Just sayin!

Phil