+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question 3 Inch Cast Iron Drain Pipe to 3 Inch PVC at Coupler slight leak?

I have an older house and the main drain that goes to the floor has a coupler between the 3 Inch PVC to the Old Cast Iron Pipe. It has started leaking a slight leak when running any water. Is there a good way to fix this? Should I emery cloth the cast iron side to remove anything there and get a new coupler and replace the coupler? Or is there something I can apply to the cast iron to better seal it? After sanding down the cast iron and getting a new coupler? Any suggestions will be welcome?

Thanks,
    MMeehan

Default Re: 3 Inch Cast Iron Drain Pipe to 3 Inch PVC at Coupler slight leak?

If there is no hub on the cast iron what you need is a banded coupling.
    http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/shiel...flex-couplings
    John

Thanks for the link but it is Fernco that is on there but it is only 2 1/4 from the top to the bottom the ones pictured in the link appears to be much longer but the one I have on it now has the collar around the entire coupler. I guess I am missing something if Fernco is what was used before just seem a little short in overall length? How long should it be for a 3 inch pipe to 3 inch pipe?

Have they changed the design and length of these type Fernco Couplers?

MMeehan

Fernco is the brand name of the coupler itself, there are other brands and styles. There are basically two types, one has an aluminum jacket, one does not. I am not sure what the purpose of the jacket is.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MMeehan View Post
    Thanks for the link but it is Fernco that is on there but it is only 2 1/4 from the top to the bottom the ones pictured in the link appears to be much longer but the one I have on it now has the collar around the entire coupler. I guess I am missing something if Fernco is what was used before just seem a little short in overall length? How long should it be for a 3 inch pipe to 3 inch pipe?

Have they changed the design and length of these type Fernco Couplers?

MMeehan
    It's 2-1/4" long for a 3" x 3" coupling.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Fernco is the brand name of the coupler itself, there are other brands and styles. There are basically two types, one has an aluminum jacket, one does not. I am not sure what the purpose of the jacket is.
    The coupling with the metal shield is known as "no hub coupling" and is more rigid.

The one without the shield is more flexible.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    The coupling with the metal shield is known as "no hub coupling" and is more rigid.

The one without the shield is more flexible.
    Well Yeah-uh! but why is one used over the other?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Well Yeah-uh! but why is one used over the other?
    The only explanation that I have is: for vertical piping you use the shielded coupling, for more support.

Maybe John can elaborate for us?

DJ1 has it correct. If you used the one without the band on a vertical line the weight of the pipe would buckle the coupling. This can also happen on a horizontal line that wasn't supported on both ends of the coupling. The only place that I will use the un-banded coupling is in a ditch. Even there they can become misaligned.
    John