+ Reply to Thread

Default Slab leak rotted out heating duct

I bought a Spiral metal tube but this appears hopeless. I cannot fit it in. Too much in the way. The original is some kind of heavy paper material which was rotted. They dumped concrete on top of the pipe which caused the leak then planted the duct in the concrete. I have the leak fixed and now need to repair the duct somehow. If I could find something flexible that could also support the concrete that has to go on top when I repair the slab. Even if I find something flexible I don't know how to see the ends. Perhaps some kind of spray foam around the ends but no clue at this point. This duct feeds three beds and two baths so I don't want to downsize the gap filler piece if possible. A 10" piece could wiggle between the gaps probably.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VLqPmLRi9s

Default Re: Slab leak rotted out heating duct

You might consider PVC pipe.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I sure hope the repair on the water line isn't permanent. The section that had the pinhole has to be cut out and a new section added.
    Last edited by johnjh2o; 10-25-2013 at 09:28 PM.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    I sure hope the repair on the water line isn't permanent. The section that had the pinhole has to be cut out and a new section added.
    No not permanent. I just stuck some epoxy on the hole to help keep us in hot water until I could excavate some more concrete and open it up. I still had to shut the hot water off when not in use as the epoxy started coming loose probably from the pipe expanding and contracting. I brazed a new section in and it looks solid now.

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    You might consider PVC pipe.

Jack
    PVC That's an idea. I bought a length of Spiral to work on but not sure about it at this point. I'm thinking I'll need to go with two pieces then use sheet metal wrapped around them and duct sealer to join then in the middle. The end gaps will have to be filled with expanding foam perhaps. This will be a kluge but at least I need to move the air freely and keep the sand out of the pipe.