+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: bathroom ceiling painting

I prefer using the more easily seen blueish smoke that comes from the end of an Arturo Fuente. It's more fun than any other way- you get to see customers gasping and trying to say something while gesturing frantically while you enjoy the rich aroma of fine Cuban tobacco while you work. It tests the smoke detectors too- no charge for the extra work I'm doing with that!

Phil

we have a flat roof with no attic access over our bathroom, exhaust fan seems to be working fine. I'm not sure what response is to whats under Kilz, for us it would be old drywall with cracked paint sc****d off. My previous comment about paint layers too heavy to clarify, when my husband paints I believe he paints too heavy, rather than light coat allowing to dry before adding another coat.

Paint coatings which are applied too heavily will often crack like this. Ditto for applying a second coat too soon. If hubby can't control himself you may have to give it a go yourself, but at least make him do all the scr@ring and cleaning! Also to consider is if this delamination always goes back to the same layer underneath- if it does then try lightly sanding that layer after removing the paint on top of it. This layer may be lead-bearing paint so take proper precautions when sanding. When done wash it with a TSP solution, let it dry, then try painting again.

Bathrooms get the soapy steam of bathing and showering on them, and that film will inhibit a good paint bond. TSP cuts that soap film better than anything and the sanding will help provide some 'bite' for the new paint to adhere with. No primer or paint can stick well otherwise. Being that I'm allergic to doing any more cleaning work than I have to, I 'cheat' and use a new cheap sponge mop to clean bathroom ceilings- it sure beats rags and a ladder!

Phil

coooooooooooooooooooool