+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default bathroom ceiling painting

please help, we have had to re paint our bathroon ceiling many times. is it possible to paint too heavy, maybe does not dry enough, we have a vent in the ceiling. we also have a flat roof above that part of house perhaps moisture from drywall to roof is the culprit our paint jobs end up with big cracks over time and can be peeled right off

Default Re: bathroom ceiling painting

How many layers of paint do you have up there?

If too many, consider replacing the drywall. It will make the bathroom seems taller...

Does it always peel down to the same layer? If so, then it could be an oil paint layer that wasn't primed before latex was applied. The transition from oil to latex requires a primer for the latex to adhere well.

As for the cracking, it is likely an excessive moisture issue, most likely from the shower and not venting well enough after each use. Your bathroom probably has poor air flow characteristics which makes everything worse.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

We certainly need to know what's under the peeling paint.

A decent primer is the first step - Such as Kilz or Zinsser oil based.

But you need to get a good paintable surface first. Anything over a bad layer will peel off.

If you are getting too much humidity in your bathroom you need to address that problem by using the window or the exhaust fan. If the exhaust fan is your first choice, there are timer switches that will shut the fan off 10 or 20 minutes after you leave the bathroom

we did apply kilz before painting. we also installed a timer on exhaust. i guess removing drywall and redoing may be the option

What was the Kilz painted over?

Rather than just going over the old ceiling with new drywall, I would consider pulling the old down to check what is going on . I have found ceiling fans that did not even have a vent hose attached to them!

Are you sure the fan is operating correctly? Is it sucking air and is the air coming out the exterior exhaust vent?

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    Rather than just going over the old ceiling with new drywall, I would consider pulling the old down to check what is going on . I have found ceiling fans that did not even have a vent hose attached to them!

Are you sure the fan is operating correctly? Is it sucking air and is the air coming out the exterior exhaust vent?
    Good point about the fan, both it's draw abilities and it's exhaust point. For the draw, that's easy enough to check out with a candle, light a candle and let it burn for a few minutes, then blow it out under the fan and see how the smoke behaves. If you have access to the attic area, make sure the vent is ducted to the exterior of the structure, best if through the roof or end wall, but soffit will suffice in a pinch.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

A puff of talcum powder works well too without upsetting the smoke detectors.

Oh, come on Houston, what fun is it unless you set off the smoke detectors? Besides, if the fan is doing its job, it won't set off the detectors, if it's not, then the detectors are a confirmation that the fan isn't working properly.