+ Reply to Thread

Default Driveway trough drain only in certain instances?

Hoping someone has insight on this.

My house is an early 50s Cape Cod, the driveway slopes down to the single garage which sits beneath the house.
    I had a quote on a new drive asking the company to replace the ancient broken small single drain with a trough drain as we were getting lots of water in the garage. Quote given based on this.

Today the driveway was finished, a large single drain with catch basin was installed, I was told this is actually more expensive than the trough.

I knew they'd had issues with original drainage, they took pics, all the original tile had collapsed, it was a big soggy mess down there. I'm told they could not install a trough drain as the tile was coming from four directions and at different heights, this set up would not allow them to install a trough. So there is a single large drain, catch basin, all piping is replaced and reattached, pitch of the drive has been altered so water flows to one side and the lawn, what does go down the drive circles to the single drain.

Thanks for reading all that preamble lol, does this make sense? I didn't realize there are cases where you cannot install a trough drain. The company was great to deal with, the finished product looks fantastic (they also did a great looking sloped sidewalk to replace old, crap sidewalk with a few steps), was just disappointed with the single drain since the point of redoing this was to avoid water in garage.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Default Re: Driveway trough drain only in certain instances?

We do linear drains in showers all the time.

Got pics?

Default Re: Driveway trough drain only in certain instances?

How it performs in the worst rains will be the deciding factor, so this may be OK. But from here it seems to me that the 'easiest way out' was taken and that may not be the best way. I cannot imagine a situation where a trough drain is not possible and with water getting into the garage being the original issue, it seems to me that a trough drain would have been the best solution. So long as the contractor knew what they were doing and did the work well, you should be OK but the methods are still questionable.

It is usually not a good idea to change plans in mid-job unless something was discovered in the process which could not have been foreseen before starting. Even then there needs to be a careful assessment made to be sure the original plan isn't the better idea though it may take additional work. Most importantly, there should be no changes made without the full understanding and express approval of the homeowner before it goes any further. To fail that is a very unprofessional approach and an open door to liability for the contractor.

I hope it all works well for you now that it's set in concrete!

Phil