+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Do/Don't caulk cedar siding installed over rainscreen mat?

About those butted seams. the contractor should have put a piece of flashing under the seam, there probably should have been some flashing on the corner posts and the window trim as well. If it is flashed properly, then there is no need for caulk, but if the flashing wasn't done, that can be a problem. With the thick siding that you are using, I still recommend against any caulk, but look into log home construction for proper chinking of any gaps. The new chinking, done properly will outlast any caulk and will not split and crack letting water in.

Again, there are no gaps. The siding is butted up tight against the casings & posts. There are no vertical flashings other than the recommended tapes. There ARE drip caps above all the upper casings.
    Siding was kiln dried, planed S2S, then stored on site in a shelter. Moisture content was checked with a Lignomat meter. I doubt there's much likelihood the wood will shrink but it may expand .1-.2% in length during humid months.

I'll update this in 50 years & let y'all know how it's holding up
    Last edited by guy48065; 11-05-2013 at 12:40 PM.

I'd like 5 year updates. Might not make it another 50....

Strictly from an aesthetics point of view, the cabin would look better without caulk because you probably would not find a caulk color to match your final stained wood. However, that being said, I don't like seeing end grain cuts being accessible to rain penetration. Granted, the siding is not the only rain barrier, and granted, the Sikkens stained cedar is very breathable.

Were a solid color stain or paint going over this cedar, I would caulk all verticle surfaces, if it were mine. Why let rain penetrate where not neccessary, even if there are redundant barriers underneath? With a solid color stain or paint, the caulking would not be obvious, as it would be on a transparent stain.