+ Reply to Thread

Question 1962 shower head

I want to change the shower head but when I went to unscrew the existing shower head it did not remove by unscrewing. It has been on since the original in 1962. It looks like it is pressed in the shower bar. When you unscrew the head it leaves the ball on the shower bar that makes the shower head rotate. Do I need to change the shower bar in the wall to get a new shower head? Can I do that without tearing up the wall?Does the shower bar unscrew in the wall easily? Someone, please help! Where is Richard when you need a good plumber and have no husband anymore to help you? Thanks alot!!

Default Re: 1962 shower head

Do I need to change the shower bar in the wall to get a new shower head?
    Technically, it is called a shower neck, and yes, you will have to remove it and install a new one with the new head, assuming the new head does not have it's own neck like the existing one does.

Can I do that without tearing up the wall?
    In most cases yes, simply unscrew it.

Does the shower bar unscrew in the wall easily?
    Seeing as how the existing shower head has been in place for 46 years, it might be a bit difficult to remove, you won't know until you try. Using a pipe wrench or channel lock pliers, grab around the base of the neck and turn it counter-clockwise. Once it starts moving, it should unscrew fairly easily. When installing the new neck, wrap the threads with teflon tape, at least 10 wraps and covering all the threaded portion of the new neck. Carefully start the new neck in the hole and turn it clockwise by hand until you can't turn it any more, then using a rag to protect the finish on the neck, use pliers to tighten it snugly. Note: You want the bend in the neck to point downwards, so as you're tightening, pay attention to the position of the neck and how much effort it takes to turn it. DO NOT loosen the neck if you go too far, as this will cause a leak, you will have to make another full turn.

Where is Richard when you need a good plumber and have no husband anymore to help you?
    This is a pretty easy DIY task, give it a shot, if you can't do it yourself, maybe you can borrow a neighbors teenager or husband for a few minutes to help you.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Typically, the shower head screws on to a shower arm, which screws on to a 'drop ear elbow' inside the wall, mounted on a block from stud to stud.

I suggest you remove the shower arm with the shower head together. Then install new.Don't forget to apply tape or plumber's dope to the thread.

You can use a typical pipe wrench to remove the old shower arm, as the sharp teeth on the pipe wrench will dig into the old arm and grip it firmly.

Do not use such a wrench to install the new shower arm. The new arm will not need the same force to install as to remove the old one.

Use liquid teflon for the threads to make installation easier. Be careful not to cross the threads.