+ Reply to Thread

Question New Chimney leaking into Attic

I have a new construction and we were just about to insulate and drywall when we were hit by a heavy rain storm. Up to this point we had many different rain days with no problems, but this was the first wind driven rain.

The bricks coming thru from the outside to the inside were saturated and I could see the water dripping down from an overhanging piece of roofing paper.

The exterior of the house and the chimney are all brick. The roofer came out while it was still dripping and said he would come back when it had dried up to see what was going on, but said the bricks are new so they are probably just getting their first soak. This doesn't make sense to me.

The Quadrafire installer came out and completely checked the cap and no signs of leaking there. The lightening rods are sealed and not leaking. The wood inside the chase is not wet.

I've been reading contractortalk forums for the last few hours and am concerned because I've read that extended wind driven rain can penetrate the brick, allowing water to run down the inside of the brick. If this is the case, no amount of flashing will help keep rain from running into the attic.

My carpenter thinks it is a flashing issue and from what I've read on contractor talk, I'm thinking it is too. There is approx 4" of flashing around the base of the chimney. However, I'm not expert so hope someone on here can help me. Is this a construction issue, flashing issue or masonry issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated. So far everyone is trying to blame everyone else and I don't care whose fault it is, I just want it fixed!

I have photos for you to see the situation, but after trying both png and jpg images, the system kept saying "This is not a valid image file". I gave up so hope my description is enough.

Default Re: New Chimney leaking into Attic

DO you have 'counter flashing' ?

click here

I'm pretty sure it's the flashing. Get a roofer who knows how to flash a chimney to re-do the job.

You can go on youtube and get yourself familiarized with the right method to flash a chimney. Done right, it won't leak, even in a windy rain storm. Millions of homes are build this way, with no leaks.

Sara,

I would not jump the gun at this point and conclude the leak is caused by one thing or another; if this is new recent construction, call in the contractor & have him/her DIAGNOSE & then repair the problem---you are still in the DIAGNOSIS stage of solving this problem; the only way to accurately diagnose this problem is to have the house contractor send over an expert chimney contractor or roofing contractor trained in chimney issues & actually go up on the roof & closely examine the chimney for hairline cracks in the mortar joints, flashing flaws, chimney crown crack, absence of a chimney cap, etc. & then make the repair as indicated---often the repair person will take a garden hose up on the roof & spray the entire surface of the chimney, flashing, crown, etc. with a strong water stream spray as a diagnostic tool to locate the leak.
    Last edited by von_steuben; 10-08-2013 at 08:37 PM.

Hi Sara,
    Is the flashing around the chimney stepped? Meaning the flashing and roof shingles are applied in alternate layers. When looking at the side of the chimney the flashing should look like a stair case. I'm assuming the roofer was competent and the chimney was flashed to code. But remember that new construction is generally built to the absolute minimum code to save money.

On a slightly different note. If you have a photobucket account you can post your pics to that account and then imbed them into your text on this site. I just joined this board and had the same problem posting pics using the tools provided by this site.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
    Joe

Step flashing a chimney is the best way of doing it. Just go to youtube for demos.