+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Is it bad to have different kinds of flooring in a house?

Hey guys, long story short... I'm moving back into a house that I've owned (but leased out) for about 10 years. I'll be living in it for the next 4-5 years. I might be keeping it long-term, or I may sell it... don't know yet. Either way, I want to make sure that my upgrades are consistent with maintaining the value of the home in case I do sell.

So here's my question... is it bad to have different kinds of flooring in all the different rooms? It's a three-bedroom home, with a massive open main room (1000 square feet that really do nothing), a family room, and then another family room in the back. Would it be considered "tacky" and non-desirable if I was to have carpet in the master bedroom, two different kinds of wood flooring in either of the two bedrooms, and then tile in the huge room that does nothing? I don't want to make a bad decision that could affect the value of the home negatively.

If I need to limit my choices, I might pick the same wood flooring for the two bedrooms and the family room, carpet for the master bedroom, and then a single tile choice for the rest of the house.

FYI, the home is in South Florida, so tile is pretty normal to have throughout the house.

Thanks!!!

Todd
    Todd

Default Re: Is it bad to have different kinds of flooring in a house?

If you are planning on selling the house in about 5 years, you need to install floors that will be acceptable to the majority of the home buyers out there.

That also means staying with 2 or 3 styles. The more styles you use, the more "high maintenance" the buyer thinks.

On the other hand, if variety is what you want for as long as you are staying in this house, then sell the house 'as is', let the buyer decide whether to keep the different floors or remove them and give him some allowance in escrow to help him decide on the house.

BTW, such an allowance will not be needed if the market continues to be hot as a seller's market.

The best thing to do is to ask a local realtor when you go to sell. Up till then it doesn't really matter to anyone else aside from Mrs Todd.

The key to any redecoration is to chose colors and textures that play well together. I'm not sure I'd use different colors of wood from room to room, however, doing the hall and main areas in one color with the same color as a border in the bedrooms with either carpet or lighter color wood in the center (of the bedrooms ) would work very well.

Wood and tile do play well together, maybe use grout color to tie the two together, though not a necessity.

Stay with classic, neutral colors and textures and your new floors will stand the test of time and buyers, go with latest fad or whacky ideas and the house will appeal only to you, hurting resale, no matter what kind of market is out there. When it comes to resale, there are only two kinds of home, "complete", which are ready for anyone to move into and enjoy, and "fixer-upper", those that need remodel or repair of some sort before they are liveable. You will get more money for a "complete" home than you ever will a "fixer-upper", and buyers will factor the cost of upgrades and repairs into their offers.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I don't know if it's bad or not. Since you're in Florida and may end up renting it out, I would tile the whole thing with the same tile, then use room-size rugs in the bedrooms. Easy to clean and easy to change out.

This may be a good place to use a floating laminate flooring. I generally don't like these but you'll maintain them and they will last the 4-5 years you're there so well that you won't need to do anything else when you leave. Coupled with tile in the bathrooms and kitchen this will give you a lot of selling leverage so long as your color choices are good. Carpeting is a double-edged sword- most people like it but if you rent instead of sell it will probably get destroyed every tenant or two whereas the laminate has better survival chances. Should you decide to stay there forever, the laminate/tile will still suit you well.

I'd make a choice about whether to rent or sell later on as soon as I could, as the best approach to either is different than the other. This too will ensure your money is being well spent.

Phil