+ Reply to Thread

Default Question About New Tile

We are remodeling are bathroom and we had already picked out some Mohawk ceramic tile we really liked. We asked the tile dealer if we could take samples with us to compare to cabinets to see what looked best and they were kind enough to let us. So we set out to several stores and we have been very careful with this tile. We even wrapped it up in bath towels to protect it. So we have been very careful with this but now we are noticing some of the color is wearing off, just from holding it up to wooden cabinets! This has really thrown us for a loop because we really were serious about buying this and putting it on our walls and floor. Now we are afraid to. If someone would walk into our bathroom with shoes on with a pebble in it, it would scratch, Have any of you had this problem and what do you think we should do from here? Most tile looks like this to us. Thanks!

Default Re: Question About New Tile

Your answer is in your question: why would you even considering a tile that is not up to your standards? You disapprove it before you even bought it - so don't buy it and look for another tile.

BTW, don't install ceramic tiles on floors. Porcelain is much better.

Yes, if the tiles are failing, then don't install them. Makes sense to me. Not every batch of tiles is made perfectly.

FWIW; Porcelain tiles are a subset of ceramic tiles; All porcelain tiles are ceramic, not all ceramic tiles are porcelain. Generally porcelain tiles are more durable than ceramic as porcelain is largely denser than your average ceramic.

We always choose porcelain over ceramic when possible, but many ceramic installations are still around for centuries.

IMHO a 'through body' porcelain is best as the color is all the way through the body of the tile. If you chip it, you have a much harder time seeing the damage.

No, after we had seen how the color of the tile was wearing off we were not going to buy it. But I am surprised that a well known company such as Mohawk , that has been making tiles for years would of put stuff like this out. Just wanted an opinion on what others thought would be better, because I see tile just like this everywhere. We will just buy porcelain and be safe. We has mentioned it to the tile dealer that we were going to put it on the floor and they said they thought it would look nice. But not now, we are afraid to. Thanks for your advice.

I can't speak of Mohawk, but few of the old trusted names are the same company they used to be and their newer products show it. There was a time when a name meant something- a product you knew was going to be good. Those days are gone and smart people will do their research before buying. Today things are made to sell cheaply, not to last as long as possible. Welcome to the modern world- now you know why we like Old Houses!

Phil

I have to add a new reply to this....I am the original writer. Talked with the tile folks about the tile wear and they explained to me that what appeared to me to be wearing off actually wasn't. That the tile is made to look that way. So I apologize to Mohawk, I was mistaken. I did go ahead and order some porcelain Mohawk tile since porcelain is a stronger tile. The tile store that I am buying from explained to me that they backed up everything they sell as long as THEY are the ones to put it in, for the life of the tile. That sold us!

Thanks for the update !