+ Reply to Thread

Default Leaking Toilet supply valve

about 2 years ago I had to replace the guts on one of our toilets. The toilet is an old one. To do this job I had to shut off the water supply, when the job was done I turned on the water but now the valve is leaking. It is a small drip but now i have a small bucket under it.

How can i stop this leak can it be done without changing the whole valve? Remember this valve is 50 years old.

Thanks all

Default Re: Leaking Toilet supply valve

After 50 years (Half a Century!), this valve paid for itself, but now it's time to replace it. True, you can repair it, but don't trust a 50 year old shut off valve, even if you never leave the house.

At any moment it could leak and cause mucho damage. A new quarter turn angle stop (shut off valve) is about $5. Don't hesitate.

Actually, if your other angle stops are this old, replace them all.

I agree with DJ, you should replace it, however, in the interim, you might once again find the "sweet spot" where it doesn't leak. Assuming the previous users of the valve knew how to operate it, they turned it to full on, then backed off (closed ) a 1/4 turn, I would start with this. Adjust the valve slightly more open/closed to see if it makes any difference. Another trick is to tighten the stem nut just ever so slightly, compressing the stem packing just a tad more, which usually takes care of the leak as well. Continue to tighten the stem nut ever so slightly until the leak stops.

Again, these are stop gap measures for an old, worn out valve, replacement is the best option, and as was recommended, go with a 1/4 turn valve, as these do not have the leak issues that stemmed valves have.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Add one vote for the 1/4 turn valves. You can tell if they are on or off just by looking at them and they are much easier to use.

Without knowing what type of valve you have maybe the stem nut need to be snugged up. I run into this all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Condoman View Post
    Without knowing what type of valve you have maybe the stem nut need to be snugged up. I run into this all the time.
    This is very true, except here we are talking about a fifty year old angle stop. There is a risk in tightening the stem nut.

I've worked a lot on old plumbing, and it never fails: you solve one problem but create a new one in the process.