+ Reply to Thread

Question story and half 1933 attic insulation questions!

My daughter recently bought a 1933 story & 1/2.stucco house with no eaves-roof ends at ext walls.(has gutters) A lot of the ceiling insulation is falling in the side attic spaces, newer insulation & plastic was added to the kneewall. the floor is boarded so I don't know how much or if it is insulated.
    I cleaned up the fallen insulation so there is some uninsulated areas(1/2-2/3) on slanted ceiling area. I put insulation around pipe type stuff.
    there are 2 new roof vents as the shingles were replaced recently. There was some light showing thru where roofline meets exterior walls so I shoved some of the old insulation in there---is that a bad Idea -did she need that air flow?? this is Minnesota. the 1/2 story is a finished area.(knotty pine!)
    thank you!

Default Re: story and half 1933 attic insulation questions!

Attic air flow is needed, even in MN, even in the winter.

What type of vents were installed?

My daughter recently bought a 1933 story & 1/2.stucco house with no eaves-roof ends at ext walls.(has gutters) A lot of the ceiling insulation is falling in the side attic spaces, newer insulation & plastic was added to the kneewall. the floor is boarded so I don't know how much or if it is insulated.
    I cleaned up the fallen insulation so there is some uninsulated areas(1/2-2/3) on slanted ceiling area. I put insulation around pipe type stuff.
    there are 2 new roof vents as the shingles were replaced recently. There was some light showing thru where roofline meets exterior walls so I shoved some of the old insulation in there---is that a bad Idea -did she need that air flow?? this is Minnesota. the 1/2 story is a finished area.(knotty pine!)
    thank you!

the vents are in the slanted roof -round & power
    So I should pull the insulation back out of the roofline bottom edge?
    then what keeps bats etc. out if that area is not closed off?
    Last edited by jeannebeanne; 10-19-2013 at 01:19 PM.

All the vents should be in the top section of the roof, the attic space. The vents can be a ridge vent, dormer vents or the powered vents just below the ridge line.

If you have dormer vents, you may not need vents behind the knee walls, but if you have eaves, there should be under eve vents. It's a lot more difficult if you don't have any eves. For this situation, you will need to either post a lot of pictures or get a pro to come out on site and give you recommendations.

To insulate properly, you will need to plan on taking down the sheet rock or plaster on the slanted portion of the ceiling. The use batt insulation with a 1 inch or larger gap between the insulation and the underside of the roof sheathing.

Before replacing the sheet rock, consider adding 1/2" thick foam boards under the rafters, then screw the sheet rock to the rafters below the foam. This will make a big difference in heat loss through the rafters. Right now, yo may notice that the snow melts first directly above the rafters. This will reduce this. You can go with thicker foam if you like but then the sheetrock is not quite as secure. You just need some foam between the sheetrock and the rafters.