+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default basement floor replacement

I have a 1964 house built on a slab foundation. The bonus room on the first floor had carpet that my renters' cats ruined with repetitive accidents-actually, I think they started marking their territory and the rest is stinky history.

SO,on top of this issue I also discovered fleas in the aftermath, so after repeated bombings to kill the fleas in a frustrated fury I pulled up the carpet. There was no padding underneath, just old linoleum and ceramic tiles and the residual glue from the carpet. No nail strips were used. Most of the floor stayed in tact, but around the sliding door entrance there is some breakage. And that smell!
    UGH, that awful, acrid smell isn't going away. I am thinking there's some moisture within the floor (due to the house settling). So my first question is: HOW do I get this smell out of the floor? And second: WHAT do I replace the floor with (not carpet, no way Jose). I have seen shows where they poured leveling concrete to deal with any unevenness, but if that smell isn't eradicated first, I am afraid the room will just smell like urine forever. I want to rent this house, but I sure don't want to show it to anybody until I get this bonus room fixed. For budgetary reasons, I would like to do stick-em linoleum tiles (12"x12") and try and keep the job cost around $600, but these other issues have to be dealt with first for sure.
    Thank you in advance!confused:

Default Re: basement floor replacement

There is no need to be confused.

I hope you retained your tenants' "pet security deposit". You didn't get one? big mistake.

Anyway, a concrete sealant will seal the odor for goods. To apply, just follow the simple directions on the label. One brand is Kiltz. You can also watch youtube for demos.

After you rid the concrete of the urine smell, choose a floor that's durable and attractive. Porcelain tile would be my choice in a rental home.

The only way to get rid of the smell is to seal it, as DJ suggested. If the odor is relatively low, then Kilz might do the trick, however if the odor is even slightly overpowering, then you're going to have some work on your hands and you'll need to use a BIN primer, likely multiple coats.

I once had a project that I lovingly call the "cat house", as the former owner had dozens of cats and nary a litter box to be found, the animals peed and poo'd wherever they saw fit. You literally couldn't breathe inside the house. All of the floor coverings were stripped out of the house to bare concrete, drywall was replaced 2' up the walls (spraying and marking damage ), and an in-wall furnace was removed. After that, the entire house was sprayed with bleach, then cat urine neutralizer. After that, several coats of BIN primer were applied to the floor, walls, cabinets, ceilings, all surfaces. With each step, the odor was reduced, but not eliminated. All surfaces were repainted after the application of BIN primer. Baking soda was applied before the new carpet was installed. Once all of this was done, there was still an odor, but it had been reduced to more of a musty essence. So, all of this to say, cats are one of the most insidious animals to have ever been domesticated. They are vile, disgusting creatures that do not belong indoors.

Also, as DJ pointed out, this is the reason you have pet deposits (non-refundable ), because even the best behaved pet will still have accidents, as well as exponentially increase the wear and tear as well as dirt on all floor surfaces, carpet being the worst because it holds both dirt and odor.

For the record, I love pets and think everyone should have one, but that doesn't mean that you have to be taken to the cleaners to accommodate them.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    So, all of this to say, cats are one of the most insidious animals to have ever been domesticated. They are vile, disgusting creatures that do not belong indoors.
    Agree.
    Unless you are desperate for tenants,I would not allow pets,especially cats,in the future. My wife and I flat out refuse pets in out rentals because of the damage they do. So many people are allergic to cats too,sometimes well after the cats are removed.

67drake,

What you are saying is basically true, but...

1. Under certain market conditions, some landlords have to be open for the possibility of renting to folks with pets, particularly if they are renting single family homes, or they face long and costly vacancies.

2. I understand your position, and as long as your turn over time is less than two months, you are ahead. But what if the market changes, becomes a "renter's market" in which there are fewer renters and tons of vacancies? will you change your position then?

3. This is where collecting a "pet deposit" is so important, and I'm talking about 1/2 a month rent or more. I've never had a prospective tenant refuse a pet deposit (I'm renting homes with yards - something they can't get in apartments).

4. Pet damages are not limited to "accidents" or odor. They also include chewing on wood, carpets, d-r-a-p-e-s, blinds, verticals and other things, broken items (windows, doors, screens, door locks, registers, cabinets, moldings, floors, etc, etc.).

This is why as a landlord I tile every square inch of the rental units, before the pets arrive.