+ Reply to Thread

Default Recycle washer water for irrigation...need details

I remember seeing an episode in which Richard installed some sort of a T valve to allow channeling washing machine water outside the home, but I can't find that video on the TOH site. I'd like to get the info and parts he used. The valve could be set in either direction, allowing you to *not* channel the water outside when there isn't the need for irrigating.
    thanks

Default Re: Recycle washer water for irrigation...need details

Do some research, you can't water everything with gray water. Also, make sure you use environmentally safe soaps and detergents.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

How to divert laundry water is fairly simple: insert the discharge outlet from the washer into a pipe leading to the outside, when you do your laundry. If your washer is on an exterior wall near a window or in the garage near the door, it's easy to do.

A device like Richard was using is a permanent diverter. It works like a large T, sending the water outside instead of the drain. There are some basic plumbing modifications needed to accomplish that. There are similar units for sale ******.

But like Spruce said, not all soaps and grey water are good for a vegetable garden. I have a vegetable garden and will not consider using grey water for irrigation.
    Last edited by dj1; 10-17-2013 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    But like Spruce said, not all soaps and grey water is good for a vegetable garden. I have a vegetable garden and will not consider using grey water for irrigation.

There are a lot of plants and shrubs that don't like it either.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!