Default Recycle washer water for irrigation...need details

I remember seeing an episode in which Richard installed some sort of a T valve to allow channeling washing machine water outside the home, but I can't find that video on the TOH site. I'd like to get the info and parts he used. The valve could be set in either direction, allowing you to *not* channel the water outside when there isn't the need for irrigating.
    thanks

Default Re: Recycle washer water for irrigation...need details

Do some research, you can't water everything with gray water. Also, make sure you use environmentally safe soaps and detergents.
    Come to Hidden Content for all your DIY needs

How to divert laundry water is fairly simple: insert the discharge outlet from the washer into a pipe leading to the outside, when you do your laundry. If your washer is on an exterior wall near a window or in the garage near the door, it's easy to do.

A device like Richard was using is a permanent diverter. It works like a large T, sending the water outside instead of the drain. There are some basic plumbing modifications needed to accomplish that. There are similar units for sale ******.

But like Spruce said, not all soaps and grey water are good for a vegetable garden. I have a vegetable garden and will not consider using grey water for irrigation.
    Last edited by dj1; 10-17-2013 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    But like Spruce said, not all soaps and grey water is good for a vegetable garden. I have a vegetable garden and will not consider using grey water for irrigation.

There are a lot of plants and shrubs that don't like it either.
    Come to Hidden Content for all your DIY needs