+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Hardwood Flooring

We live in a home that was built by my wife's grandparents in 1948. We recently lifted some carpet in the hallway to expose the hardwood flooring but there seems to be what looks like carpet foam padding that has been ground in to the hardwood. Is there an easy way to clean this up?

Default Re: Hardwood Flooring

refinish the floors and all should be good. sand and poly

What MLB said plus;

This work is best done by a pro with large, heavy, hard to operate machines. Plan on being out of your house for a week. A cruise or vacation is advised.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    What MLB said plus;

This work is best done by a pro with large, heavy, hard to operate machines. Plan on being out of your house for a week. A cruise or vacation is advised.
    The reason houstonremodeler is suggesting you take a cruise is not because he is going to make a commission from the cruiseliner, but because sanding hardwood floor is a dusty business. You don't want to experience it.

It may take some hard work, but sanding the floors and re-finishing them should do the trick. I had an old house with floors that looked like the previous owners had worn soccer cleats inside. A few days of sanding and finishing made them a whole new floor.

First and foremost I feel you need to take the advise from a professional so that you follow the right guidelines and get the best results.I would also suggest getting the sanding of the floor and then re-finishing it to get a new floor.All this is a messy business and so needs to be done carefully to get the best results.