+ Reply to Thread

Default Woodworking metal detectors

I have seen Norm use a metal detector before plaining used lumber but I can not find where I can get one. Any ideas on which to buy and where to get it?

Default Re: Woodworking metal detectors

i don't know the manufacturer of the one he uses but he did say that "it's the same as the ones that the security guards use at the airport". maybe that's enough of a hint to help you start your search.

Go to Rockler.com and search metal detector.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...9&site=ROCKLER
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

If you are not a professional framer, don't bother. Why?

At metal detectors prices start at $150, you can afford ruining $3.99 blades left and right. Particularly if you don't do a lot of cutting. Just buy blades in bulk. Happy sawing!

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    If you are not a professional framer, don't bother. Why?

At metal detectors prices start at $150, you can afford ruining $3.99 blades left and right. Particularly if you don't do a lot of cutting. Just buy blades in bulk. Happy sawing!
    Woodworking, not framing, you're not buying joiner or planer blades for $4 anywhere! LOL For woodworking, it is pretty much a necessity to check for metal because not only are new blades not cheap, doing a proper set-up of the knives is a major pain in the butt. There is also the safety issue of hitting a chunk of metal that can cause a kickback or other serious problem, aside from destroying the knives. Lastly, if you like to use reclaimed lumber in projects, then it is imperative that you have a metal detector.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Spruce...my mistake...

I thought he was asking about "used lumber", and my first thought was "used 2x4s", cause that's what I'm used to.
    All clear now!

Not everybody bends nails for a living, ya know! <wink> LOL

Your earlier comments reminded me of what I started doing today, repairing a deck. There is absolutely no way to remove a rusty screw, you've got to yank the wood out from around it and then break them off. Well, you also gotta make cuts, and unfortunately, many of those cuts are through the very screws you can't remove. Thank God saw blades are cheap and easy to change! LOL

Oh, DON'T try this at home kids!