+ Reply to Thread

Default How do we fish a nylon rope out of 200 ft well?

My family relies on a submersible well pump to supply our home with water. We are having water pressure problems and need to pull the pump. We have discovered that the 3/8 inch nylon rope attached to the pump has fallen back into the well and apparently is resting on top of the pump itself. When the well crew tried to pull the pump out, that small rope kept getting wedged between the pump and the 6 inch well casing. The pump would come up about 100 feet and would then get stuck. They finally gave up and reattached the plumbing. We are "getting by" but need to pull that pump. How can we blindly fish a 200 ft. nylon rope out of a 200 ft. well casing that is 6 inches in diameter? Thanks very much for your ideas!

Default Re: How do we fish a nylon rope out of 200 ft well?

if you do figure it out, please post how you did it on here. i'm dying to know how to do it or how you did it.

Probably something like a heavy test fishing pole with large grappling style hook. Pull the pump up as high as possible, fish for the rope, drop pump back down and reel rope back up. Repeat process until you get the end of the rope up where you can grab it.

I'm somewhat surprised the well dudes didn't have any ideas or plans for just such an occasion.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Let me go and see the new movie GRAVITY. They may have a solution for you.

The rope is probably blocking the intake causing the pressure problems.

If you can get hold of a waterproof inspection camera (like they use for sewers) with a long lead, you may be able to drop that down to figure out where best to grab the rope. You might be able to use a long drain snake with a spiral tip to snag the rope. Come to think of it, a sewer cleaning company might have all you need. Of course you're sticking it down into your drinking water well so maybe that's not such a wonderful idea after all.

Or you could drill a new well and install a new pump and plumbing.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Could you possibly use an old fashion mouse trap? Lower it on a line to see if you can trip it to grab the rope. You may need a second one if after pulling it up somewhat the rope is tangled.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    The rope is probably blocking the intake causing the pressure problems.

If you can get hold of a waterproof inspection camera (like they use for sewers) with a long lead, you may be able to drop that down to figure out where best to grab the rope. You might be able to use a long drain snake with a spiral tip to snag the rope. Come to think of it, a sewer cleaning company might have all you need. Of course you're sticking it down into your drinking water well so maybe that's not such a wonderful idea after all.

Or you could drill a new well and install a new pump and plumbing.
    Fencepost, assuming we got ahold of a sewer camera or drain snake, couldn't we "shock" the well with bleach and get it safe for drinking in a few days? Or would we just be introducing a new problem into the situation? One of the well crews that came out strongly suggested we just drill a new well (imagine that!) but I'm pretty sure bleach would be a few thousand dollars cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurine View Post
    Fencepost, assuming we got ahold of a sewer camera or drain snake, couldn't we "shock" the well with bleach and get it safe for drinking in a few days? Or would we just be introducing a new problem into the situation? One of the well crews that came out strongly suggested we just drill a new well (imagine that!) but I'm pretty sure bleach would be a few thousand dollars cheaper.
    I'm not going to say that's the solution, because I'm not qualified to make that judgment. I presume that the proper treatment would be similar to what you'd do if the wellhead was submerged by floodwaters.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.