+ Reply to Thread

Default Removing door mounted by self closing hinges

The door from house to garage is mounted using self closing hinges and I need to remove the door to fix a problem with the underside. There is no pin that I can see to remove like on my other doors and I cannot determine how to remove the door without unscrewing the hinges. I have attached a picture of the hinge and would appreciate instructions on how to remove the door.
    Link to picture of hinge http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0098009/photos/flex99/

http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0098009/photos/flex99/
    Last edited by itredler; 10-09-2013 at 09:09 PM.

Default Re: Removing door mounted by self closing hinges

those hinges don't have a pin that slides out. just unscrew the hinges, no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by MLB Construction View Post
    those hinges don't have a pin that slides out. just unscrew the hinges, no big deal.
    The easiest and safest way is to disable the springs before unscrewing the hinge plates. Look at the top of the hinge, you'll see that the cap has holes in it and there will be a pin in one of the holes. Typically, you use an hex wrench to take the spring tension off the pin. The easy way to work this is to remove the tension off the pin, then remove the pin, then, using nail set or similar pointed tool that fits the holes in the hinge cap, you slowly back the tension off the spring.

When putting the tension back on the spring, you simply want the door to shut easily on its own without slamming or sticking open. Tighten the spring until you get to that point, then stop. Check your work by opening the door slowly and carefully to make sure that the spring isn't binding (too tight ) when the door is in the full open position.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thank you.