+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Delta Faucet

Default Delta Faucet

I have a delta faucet with plaster guard. The plaster guard is a 4 inch square plastic guard that clips on the faucet valve. The instructions state that the plaster guard needs to be flush or within 3/8 with the finish wall. Does this mean I need to cut out 4 1/2 inch circle? I will be using Durock or Hardiebacker and 4x4 inch tiles over that. This faucet will be replacing an existing faucet with similar dimensions. I'm thinking I should able to put the new faucet in the same position without moving the plumbing. Also, what's the best way to cut a circle in the Hardiebacker board?

Default Re: Delta Faucet

1 - Calculate the total thickness of your wall surface, from the face of the framing to the finish surface.
    2 - Install the new valve and set the face of the plaster ring to what will be the finished face of the wall.
    3 - Cut the hole your cement board the diameter of the plaster ring, the escutcheon should be designed to fit within the footprint of the plaster ring.
    4 - When setting your tile, set the back wall first. Find the centerline of the wall from side to side and start your tile here and work into the corners. With the back wall done, do the end walls, which should extend 1/2 to one full tile past the tub/shower pan, start at this line and work into the corner, this leaves an even cut tile in the corner, not outside the tub/shower where it will be seen.
    5 - Once the tile work is done, the plaster ring is removed and the faucet escutcheons are installed.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks sir for the info..

Be sure to install either a surface water proofing membrane over the backer board or a continuous sheet of 6 mil poly behind the backer board that overlaps the tub's tile flange.

Tile over back board is NOT waterproof

There is not much to add to the above perfect answers, except: fasten the new faucet body to a block running between the two adjacent studs, so it's secured in place.

Something that should be said here, if you're doing any soldering within 6" of the new valve body, disassemble the valve so that you're only heating the case and not any of the plastic or rubber parts inside. Pay attention to how you disassemble things so you can reassemble properly, some parts and cartridges are unidirectional.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

What's is the best way to connect the tub spout? Slip-on, iron pipe, or copper sweat. How do you test faucet for leaks with a slip-on setup? I know the faucet has to be capped off at the shower end and tub spout.

I prefer screw on fixtures, so I set a threaded elbow in the wall, then install a galvanized nipple stub for the tub spout. The shower neck stubs itself out. If you go this route, simply cap them stubs and you're good.

If you go with a slip fit spout, then you'll solder in a longer than necessary stub with a soldered cap. After your pressure test, simply cut the stub to length. Shower neck would still get a cap on the neck arm.

One thing to point out, your valve likely came with it's own shower head/neck, and tub spout, no sense in tossing these, so you would use whatever system they require.

This tub spout is designed for all three. Probably going to use the iron pipe method. Thanks again for the info.