+ Reply to Thread

Default Electricity usage monitor for a 240V dryer machine

Does anybody know of a product that will monitor the electricity usage of a 240V dryer machine in a given period (like for the whole month)? I was able to find such a device for my washer machine, however the washer operates in 120V. I bough it at home depot and it is called P3 Kill A Watt. I looked all over the internet and i dont seem to find the same device that will work on 240V. ANy ideas? I would really appreciate it!

Default Re: Electricity usage monitor for a 240V dryer machine

I have no clue, except looking for a product like this in other countries, where they use 240V.
    With the global internet, I would imagine it's easy to do. Or, have a friend look for it when traveling.

Why not use a clamp on amp meter to get a reading. After knowing that it should not change much as it is either tumbling (motor on) or tumbling and heating (motor & heat on). Not a lot of variable anything else.

Thanks for the reply. That is actually a good idea, but how do you suggest e to measure that, at the outlet plug and how would i go about calculating it?

Thanks again,

I would take the access panel off the dryer with the unit unplugged. Find one hot wire and clip the ammeter around it. Plug the dryer in a run it on no heat and then heat to get the readings. Use caution around exposed wiring.

Search for amps to watts to learn the conversion formula.