+ Reply to Thread

Default knotty pine wood primer?

i am close to painting on my addition, I will be painting my ceilings that are constructed out of 1x8 v groove wood. it is a pine product with knots. what is the process and materials for priming and paint so the knots won't bleed thru? I was told to shellac over the knots?

Default Re: knotty pine wood primer?

There are a number of ways to go about it.

1 - Prime with one coat of Zinsser Bull's Eye 123 (blue label ), which will cover most of the knots, then spot prime as needed with either shellac, lacquer, or BIN primer (Zinsser red label ), followed by another coat of Zinsser 123, as spot priming will leave "hot" spots.

2 - Spot prime first with one of the above mentioned products, followed by two coats of Zinsser 123.

3 - BIN prime the whole thing.

If you go the route of spot priming, I would recommend using an aerosol can of matte finish lacquer, polyurethane, or BIN primer, as this will be the easiest and fastest method to apply. It will also minimize clean-up, which can be a real pain with these products if you don't know what you're doing.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

We just skip ahead to the BIN primer. You can overcoat with latex even.

Pine is a resinous wood, the knots especially so. I'd Kilz (original) or BIN the whole thing and be done with the priming in one shot; otherwise you may find bleed-through a year from now when you thought you were done!

Phil

thanks for the replies... I will look for the BIN primer to be done in 1 step, I do not want to dealing again in a year

Make sure to read the label in the store for clean-up procedures, then buy the appropriate products and paint equipment for what you're doing.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

good tip cause bin said ammonia and I didn't have any of that!

I wouldn't even bother with cleaning-up BIN-tools!! Consider the cost of tossing a couple tools equal to the cost of buying/using the solvent!! Bin is a great primer, but I just toss the tools. There's bigger fish to fry....

Faron

I'd double check that label, last time I used BIN it was alcohol clean-up, not ammonia.

Quote Originally Posted by Faron View Post
    I wouldn't even bother with cleaning-up BIN-tools!! Consider the cost of tossing a couple tools equal to the cost of buying/using the solvent!! Bin is a great primer, but I just toss the tools. There's bigger fish to fry....

Faron
    I agree, I'd still use a good quality brush and clean that up, but I'd toss any rollers used, save and clean the roller cage, of course.

I ran it thru the sprayer so I had to flush that....... label said equal parts water to ammonia