+ Reply to Thread

Question 33 year-old house

what would be a range of cost for replacing an original electric panel in a 1980 home ? Because the house is 33 years old would it need re-wiring? If the house needed re-wiring, what could be the range of cost for a 1500 sq ft home ? thanks

Default Re: 33 year-old house

Why do you want to change your panel?
    What size is your panel?
    Why do you think you need to re-wire?

In most places, this job has to be done by a licensed electric contractor. Call 2-3 local guys for estimates. Prices do vary widely.

Changing to a 200 amp is about $2500 plus permits, give or take a few hundreds.

Have your contractor check your wiring too. Generally, a 33 year old house doesn't need re-wiring, unless something catastrophic happened. A re-wire job is much more expensive. You need estimates for that, though a homeowner can do it himself.

thanks dj1--got some estimates on the panel because its one of those that some say might overheat---was wondering whether needed to budget for any future electric expenses on 33 year old house--seems like the wiring is fine... thanks for your input dj1.

Quote Originally Posted by rosy View Post
    thanks dj1--got some estimates on the panel because its one of those that some say might overheat---was wondering whether needed to budget for any future electric expenses on 33 year old house--seems like the wiring is fine... thanks for your input dj1.
    Really ? A 1980 house should be pretty modern in code . . . I had a 1973 Calif House with something like 100a service for electric oven & cooktop, electric cothes dryer and Romex-type wiring. It was fine except that the wiring scheme wasn't the best - 2 BR's on 1-circuit, and 1 circuit for the MBR & Master bath (no 1875w hair dryer). It became a problem when I considered Mini-Split AC and did an addition - - when I was told I had to pay for trenching for a larger service line, the contractor tapped a gas supply for clothes dryer for $600 and I bought a new gas dryer (replacing a 8-10 years old electric one) and "freed" up a 30a/208 circuit for other loads. I just had the guy replace the original breakers for good measue.

My neighbor's FPE panel died not so long ago. Maurice will probably chime in here telling you how common that is ( and thanks to him again for the help with that). So yes, your wiring may be OK but the panel may not be.

Regardless, this is a job for a licensed electrician unless you want to chance having your home insurance cancelled, or worse not pay off should an electrical fault occur and leave you with a pile of ashes. Since they will be on-site they will know what needs to be done. Always get at least 3 estimates and make sure they are all covering the same work to be done.

I'm conversant with this stuff and have done a few panel changes and rewires but only when they were mine or the owner was hard-pressed with no other options. I do not recommend DIY here as mistakes can be deadly.

Phil

As others have stated you would be way ahead if you had the place looked at by a good electrician, even if they charged a few hours for it.

Many factors are involved, some can't even be seen. Original workmanship, rodent damage, sunlight damage, corrosion, loose connections are just a few.

Above all, chose someone you trust that can give recommendations.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content