+ Reply to Thread

Default Arlington boiler venting system with fireplace?

I just watched the Arlington episode where they installed the new boiler venting system into one of the existing chimney flues. If you use this system, are you still able to use the other flue for a wood fire? Seems like the boiler would end up sucking in the smoke if it started while the fire was burning.

Default Re: Arlington boiler venting system with fireplace?

I would say that could be a real problem if you didn't add a chimney cap to extend the fireplace chimney above the boiler side.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

you can only do that if there's a separate flue for the fireplace. if you watched, there was another flue at the top of the chimney for a fireplace.
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 02-23-2014 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MLB Construction View Post
    you can only do that if there's a separate flue for the fireplace. if you watched, there was another flue at the top of the chimney for a fireplace.
    That's the problem. The other flue would expel the smoke from the fireplace which was right next to and below the boiler intake.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    That's the problem. The other flue would expel the smoke from the fireplace which was right next to and below the boiler intake.

Jack
    i hear what you're saying but you can have the same thing with the two PVC pipes right next to each other on the side of the house with the flue gases going out then right back in the other pipe. i don't think enough of the fireplace exhaust would get into the new air intake to make a difference. if it did there would probably be some codes regarding how far they had to be from each other.