+ Reply to Thread

Default What is This Plaster Stuff?

I am not new to the idea of plaster I have had it in homes before..however this new home circa 1900-1910 well there is nice wallpaper (paper backed not vinyl) thoughout the upstairs. I have removed one small 1x1 area and used dif and let it sit for about 10 minutes..it peeled right off with a small wallpaper removal tool...but here is my questin 2 part....

1. What is the white gritty like substance that coated over the area and comes off like mud when it gets wet and could it be all over the wall..and what do i do with it? I'm sure its compound paste but all over the wall?????

2. what are my other options for removal of wallpaper once we figure out what the white stuff is?

Default Re: What is This Plaster Stuff?

How gritty is this compound? Does it ever stop coming off the wall, or the more you work the area, the more comes off, the deeper the "hole" gets?

You might want to try a different wall paper remover. In one gallon of warm water, add 1/4 cup of fabric softener. Use this instead of DIF and see if that makes any difference. At the very least, it will be cheaper, if not more gentle about pulling up the surface of the wall.

i dont' believe its a hole, I did an area on the stairway wall where the balcony meets the stairs, under this one layer is what seems like dry wall compund (same texture)..and I really dont' want to find out if its all over the wall under the wall paper If i scrap at this "substance" i see brown under it like brown paper????

does this help?

I just had the exact same problem. I used dif to remove wallpaper from a small wall in my stairwell and what I assume is the plaster underneath absorbed it and sc****d right off if I went too deep. What I did was finish removing the wallpaper carefully. Bought some latex spackling to fill the holes and gouges and sanded smooth. This took about 3 tries to get everything smooth and I am getting ready to sand the last application. My plan is to prime with Kilz and paint it. Hopefully this will work. I guess old plaster deteriorates and becomes powdery? I don't know. Never heard or read about this in any old house magazines, and I have read a lot of them. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by nyrhtak26 View Post
    i dont' believe its a hole, I did an area on the stairway wall where the balcony meets the stairs, under this one layer is what seems like dry wall compund (same texture)..and I really dont' want to find out if its all over the wall under the wall paper If i scrap at this "substance" i see brown under it like brown paper????

does this help?
    Theres a good chance there's yet another layer of wallpaper or backing paper under the one you took off that was possibly painted over..even spackled AND painted over then rewallpapered.
    I've run accross this many times in aot of the old houses I've done.
    Lots of times the plaster doesn't get primed correctly to accept wallpaper and the removal down the line becomes a nightmare so more times than not a lot of people will try and spackle seams ete etc smooth then paint and THEN THAT will get wallpapered over.
    That brown paper sounds like old wall paper liner/backer someone had an impossible time trying to remove.
    I dunno unless I see it in person.
    The only thing under plaster that I know of is the brown coat and that ain't like paper...thats like sand.
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

i wonder if i sent a pic if it would make sence. the brown paper i am referring to is under a thick layer of this stuff that is powdery but hard. It is so hard to explain however...i am trying

The prior person (two up) sounds as though they are aware of my issue, I just dont' know DIF is the best solution to take the wallpaper off if her case is like mine..and then what do you do???

I have two houses (circa 1935). Both houses have multiple chimneys that have been boxed in with plaster, and the chimneys are messing with the flow of the rooms, particularly the kitchen. Do I want to get rid of those plastered boxed chimneys? Is it worth the cost? If so, what is the best way to do it?

I think I am having a similar problem. After tenants had apparently taped posters to their bedroom walls, we were left with unsightly, brown-paper looking spots on the walls. I can notice seams around the room. When I pull back the covering, the plaster underneath appears to be sanded, almost like cement or something. I have included a picture to help illustrate what I'm talking about. What is this? The other plaster walls in my house do not look like this. How do we repair to a smooth finish?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plaster.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	248