+ Reply to Thread

Default Rotten Boards Under Block Glass Window

I wanted to know if I can cut out the 2x4 under the block glass window in the shower area and put in new wood without removing the tub or taking the window out. There is also a smaller board that sits on top of the 2x4 that needs to be replaced. Possibly, use a saw to cut the 2x4 and then remove the smaller piece on top, put in new wood and secure the 2x4 with some brackets..

Default Re: Rotten Boards Under Block Glass Window

almost anything can be done and it sounds possible but it's hard to say without seeing it. can you post a pic and a good description?

It sounds like the sills are rotted (framing 2X4 and finish sill). Normally this can be done from the outside but with the glass block it becomes a maybe. If this is a pre-framed glass block flange-mounted window then yes, with care it can be done. If it's real glass block then there is a risk that removing it's support will allow it to fall out. More details might get you more advice but that's what I see from here now.

IMHO it's never a good idea to have a window in the shower/tub area although this used to be popular. Now you see why. It's simply impossible to keep all the moisture away from the wood with rot being the eventual result- if not the window then the framing. When your repairs are done go inside and caulk with silicone as needed and see if the stool has enough slope toward the inside so that water landing on it will run off. Ideally it will have a drip groove cut underneath it as well. I've never seen either done save for my own work where I couldn't convince the owner to get rid of that window.

Phil

I'm trying to upload some pictures and I keep getting this exclamation point at the end of the upload.

I just found out that because I'm new to this site, I have to post 10 times before I can upload pictures. I guess a few mindless posts should do it.

You can bypass this requirement. Just post your photos at a host like photobucket.com, then give us the link.

Cool, thanks sir

I think I might have to replace this block glass window. They have new windows now with no grout in between them.

OK, do that and report back.

Oh well, I've tried everything to upload pictures, no luck..