+ Reply to Thread

Default Lighting on Trees

Hey all, on the final episode of the Essex build, I noticed they mounted 120V spot lights on a tree, with PVC leading up and UF running up the tree. I thought it was against the NFPA to install wiring and fixtures on living vegetation? Maybe the Essex area doesn't abide by the NFPA Code?

Default Re: Lighting on Trees

This thread may belong in the TV Show forum.

I recall the spots were LED's but I don't recall the voltage being mentioned. Perhaps they were low voltage units?

I've seen a number of non-code-compliant things done on the TOH show, but the codes there may not be what I'm subject to here.

Phil

This is a universal code, written or not: You don't drive nails, screws and whatever else into a living thing.

Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    This is a universal code, written or not: You don't drive nails, screws and whatever else into a living thing.

Just my two cents.
    In general I agree, but my hammock still gets attached to a screw eye into the trees.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post

Just my two cents.
    I wish you'd tell my screwgun that- it likes my fingers! I've got a trimnailer that way too, but it doesn't 'act out' nearly as often.

And don't wrap wires or ropes around trees or limbs for long or the tree will grow around them, which may kill that limb or the whole tree. But these 'rules' are often broken anyway. If you know what you're about, nails or screws or screw-eyes can be harmless to trees so long as you don't let the tree grow around them and you plug the hole when you remove them to keep bugs and disease out.

What worries me most about what they did on the show is that they placed a wire up a tree than will provide a nice path for a lightning strike to get into the house should that tree and the homeowners ever be that unlucky. The electrician should have thought about that whether code-required or not. Just because you 'can' do something doesn't always make it a good idea!

Phil

Guys I totally agree with all of you but, it's legal if the wiring is brought up out of the ground and not spanned from tree to tree.

225.26 Vegetation as Support.
    Vegetation such as trees shall not be used for support of overhead conductor spans.
    Overhead conductor spans attached to a tree are subject to damage over the course of time as normal tree growth around the attachment device causes the mounting insulators to break and the conductor insulation to be degraded. The requirement in 225.26 reduces the likelihood of chafing of the conductor insulation and the danger of shock to tree trimmers and tree climbers. However, outdoor luminaires and associated equipment are permitted by 410.36(G) to be supported by trees. To prevent the chafing damage, conductors are run up the tree from an underground wiring method. See 300.5(D) for requirements on the protection of direct-buried conductors emerging from below grade.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content