+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Insurance company says replace our cedar shake roof (installed 2006)

The OP indicated they moved in sometime 2007, so by now (2013) one could expect some degradation of the shakes. Most insurers will either have someone do a visual exterior inspection or have you return a questionnaire at least every few years to asses their risks, which occurred here. No matter who the insurer is this was bound to happen eventually.

My Mom's house was built around 1950 and we've had to upgrade a number of things to please her insurer. Currently they are wanting a rewire or they will raise the premiums but they have not spoken of cancellation. Her insurer has been very good with the few claims she has made so we're not considering anyone else- better the devil you know than the one you don't if the first devil ain't too bad!

Phil

Default Re: Insurance company says replace our cedar shake roof (installed 2006)

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercarpentry View Post
    The OP indicated they moved in sometime 2007, so by now (2013) one could expect some degradation of the shakes. Most insurers will either have someone do a visual exterior inspection or have you return a questionnaire at least every few years to asses their risks, which occurred here. No matter who the insurer is this was bound to happen eventually.

My Mom's house was built around 1950 and we've had to upgrade a number of things to please her insurer. Currently they are wanting a rewire or they will raise the premiums but they have not spoken of cancellation. Her insurer has been very good with the few claims she has made so we're not considering anyone else- better the devil you know than the one you don't if the first devil ain't too bad!

Phil
    Phil, it does make sense now that you address the degradation issue.

Guess we must have been lucky. After the initial inspection, only Citizens came out again to inspect the yard.

Fortunately no one's required us to rewire, because that would cost a bundle. I did have to replace a window broken after a burglary, but that does make sense.

Thanks for the clarification.

Cedar shakes have life expectancy of 20 years or more.

Unless prematurely damaged, what can go wrong with 6 year old shakes that would require total replacement?

Your insurance company is obviously trying to bully you. Who knows what will they demand next year.

Like what was suggested before - get prices from other companies now, before you get cancelled. Time is not on your side.

To recap our dilemma, and thanks for the replies on the earlier question-We have been told by our insurance company that we must replace our wooden roof by December 2015. There have been a lot of devastating forest fires in our area, so the insurance companies are tightening up their rules, and our company has raised our rates by over 30%. Additionally, our county will no longer allow installation of new wood roofs. So our options are to repair and keep our current insurance company, or replace with a fire safe alternative.

Here is the tricky part- our roof is a very unusual one for our area, and so we want to keep the character of the original, wooden roof intact rather than replacing it with asphalt shingles. Our home is a modified fairy tale style roofed bungalow, built in 1907. The roof has a significant concave bend on the rake ends, and a mild curve from peak to eaves otherwise, and one dormer. The house has historical significance, and is the only home like this in our immediate area- a rural part of southern Colorado, and there are no roofers in the area that I can find with experience with cedar or this kind of roof.

I spoke with a representative of Da Vince Roofscapes about getting a faux cedar shingle look with fire ratings that would be permitted in our community. They do not offer any materials which can conform to this roofline, and had no suggestions as to other places that might.

Might you at TOH have suggestions for alternative roofing materials? I tried attaching a photo to explain what I mean with the roof design but was unable to do so. What is the file format one must use to do that? pdf was too big and suffered degradation of quality anyway, is a jpeg or photoshop file ok?

Thanks you so much for your consideration.

So now we're back to fire hazard, not curling shakes.

If you can't find a new carrier, and want to stay insured, play your insurance company's game and do as they require.

Have you ever thought that you were the boss at your house?

I USED to think I was boss of my house... lol

I guess the big question now is finding an attractive alternative roofing material that is fire code acceptable and will be able to conform to the curved roofline at the rake ends. It is a 90 degree curve, and the last roofing company I spoke with, DaVinci, said that the curve is too dramatic for their faux cedar look tiles.

What do people use who have bungalows with roofs like ours, or with eyebrows over the second story windows? Our house is not nearly as dramatically curved as many I have seen in books.

I am hoping someone will have some recommendations on roofing materials. :-)