+ Reply to Thread

Default Is it possible to drill under slab to install supply & drain pipes?

I would like to convert the slab end of my log cottage to a mud room/laundry. Is it possible to drill down through the slab in the location of the utility sink AND, working in the crawl space, drill horizontal deep under the slab and have the 2 meet so I can feed supply and grey water drain pipes without busting up the slab & digging a deep narrow trench inside the house? I've seen some crazy things on This Old House that makes me think this might be possible. Anyone here ever done this or know of it being done?

The slab end is accessible from the outside so drilling with a large rig is a possibility.
    Last edited by guy48065; 10-02-2013 at 01:57 PM.

Default Re: Is it possible to drill under slab to install supply & drain pipes?

as long as your soil is stable enough as not to have a cave in, sure its done all the time down here

I may be wrong, but it seems easier and safer just to cut the slab.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    as long as your soil is stable enough as not to have a cave in, sure its done all the time down here
    I'm not sure where to search the yellow pages for this. What kind of business drills deep horizontal tunnels in Texas?

Where my cottage is located there is quite a lot of natural gas activity and it's not unusual to see tunnel rigs here & there. I see my options as either look up a legitimate operation that does this kind of thing often, or hire some utility guy with a rig on a trailer for cash.

Horizontal drilling is the preferred choice of utilities these days, so it should be relatively easy to find a contractor or two who specializes in the field (horizontal drilling ) to at least consult on your project. I am more on DJ's side, in that it's faster and easier, and probably cheaper, just to cut the slab to install what you need.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!