+ Reply to Thread

Default sound proofing a interior wall

I will soon build an interior wall to seperate a bed room area off the main room. the wall is 11ft across and 7 ft tall. It will have a 5ft wide french door centered in it. I can make it 2x4 or 2x6, not sure how much difference the extra width would make in noise reduction. Heard that(no pun intended) using 5/8 typex drywall would help. What other advise can you give me to make this as quite a room as possible? What considerations should i look for in the doors also? Thank you.

Default Re: sound proofing a interior wall

there's probably about 10 different options to make the room additionally sound resistant.

the easiest would be to use 2x4 construction with 1/2 drywall on each side and install Roxul sound dampening insulation in the stud bays. for the french doors, you can get double layered insulated glass.

if you don't think this would be sufficient, let us know and i or others here can tell you how to make the room almost totally soundproof.

how the room is going to be utilized and it's location in relation to the other rooms and noise would help us to help you make the right choice without breaking the bank.

The room is the master br, sometimes we go to bed at different hours and need this room to be quite. The three exterior walls on this room are strawbale and very, very quite. The doors may only be 4ft wide and I am looking for a solid panel doors, not glass.We have alot of 6in t/g knotty pine and would like to get doors with that exterior and finish them to match rest of house. They will be open most of the time when no one is sleeping.

i would think that regular 2x4 framed walls and Roxul sound dampening insulation along with your solid core doors would be adequate.

You could build two framed walls using 2x3 or 2x4 so sound cannot be transmitted from one wall to the other. You could also use 2x6 but cut a slit straight up the middle from near the bottom to near the top. Use the 5/8" sheetrock and soundproofing. Use solid doors, but put a mirror on one side. For some reason, mirrors reduce sound transmission. Hotels use that trick on the doors that go between rooms.