+ Reply to Thread

Default Cedar Shake Replacement

The back of my garage is covered with Shakes.To install a back door I had to tear out some including cutting the ends of the boards they are nailed to. I notice there are two layers. The bottom layer is smooth side out and the outer has the grooves.I have some idea of how I need to repair the area but just need some other input before I do.

Default Re: Cedar Shake Replacement

You have two layers of cedar shakes, hopefully you have a house wrap too.

Any opening, window, door or other, requires flashing around it. You need to remove all shakes around the opening (about 6-8 in) in order to install your flashing. The top flashing must go under the wrap above it.

Then place your cedar shake in the reverse order. Cut them as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    You have two layers of cedar shakes, hopefully you have a house wrap too.

Any opening, window, door or other, requires flashing around it. You need to remove all shakes around the opening (about 6-8 in) in order to install your flashing. The top flashing must go under the wrap above it.

Then place your cedar shake in the reverse order. Cut them as needed.
    I have already installed the trim around the door. It is attached with screws and I assume the flashing goes under the trim and then reattach it. Is that correct? I also will have to replace the sheathing that was cut away with the shingles.
    Last edited by tggringo; 10-02-2013 at 04:03 PM. Reason: to correct spelling

The flashing goes over the wrap to the sides of the door and under the wrap above the door.

Then finish your exterior.

Not sure? go to Youtube and search videos.

Being a garage it may not have house-wrap but there will be something under the shakes meant to keep water out and that is where the flashing will need to go. If you cut any extra out in putting the door in you may have to remove more shakes and over-lay more of that material. You really need the door molding to sit on top of that (preferably caulked to it), with the cap flashing above going under it so that water positively exits away form the house and door where it cannot get inside the wall. I hope you don't have a re-do happening here!

Phil

I thank you for the information. Looks like have some redo to take care of. Not entirely but your advice is very helpful. Thanks again.