+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default how to feed another switch from a switch question

I have 3 switch box. 1 switch is a 3way, 1 switch is a 4way, 1 switch is a single pole. I need to take a feed from either the 4 way or 3 way to feed the single pole and another single pole in the box next to it. what wire and from wich switch to use for the feed?

Default Re: how to feed another switch from a switch question

Not knowing what wires you have it is impossible to answer your question other than to say none of the wires on a 4-way are a constant hot.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

gotcha- are any wires on the 3 way constant hot?
    this is a middle run box...
    feed comes into first box has this 3 way and a 4 way, then this box has the 3way a 4 way and a single then this 3way goes to the light......

Quote Originally Posted by gwilkrrs View Post
    gotcha- are any wires on the 3 way constant hot?
    this is a middle run box...
    feed comes into first box has this 3 way and a 4 way, then this box has the 3way a 4 way and a single then this 3way goes to the light......
    The only place you can obtain power for another circuit is from the common (sometimes a black screw) on the 3 way in the first box. And, the neutral from the same cable as the hot.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

You will need to test the common screw on the 3-ways with a meter or test light. One will have a constant regardless of the switch position, the other will be hot only when the light is turned on. You will still need a neutral to what ever the new switch is feeding.

Jack

THANKS! I will try this

ok- so here it is........................
    got it on above box feed here is the next delema. so the final box with the 4 way switch I am trying to get a feed out of for an outside light...... so I grabbed the wire and hooked it up and it works.... when the 3 way switch in the box prior is on the ext light doesn't work- 3 way off ext light is on?

question- can I feed a light from a 4way? the 4 way circuit is this..... feed to switch1, switch 1 to switch2, switch2 to switch3, switch3 to light. I want to pull a feed off switch3

No. A 4-way switch only has travelers attached to it. See if this helps

The only place in this picture that you can pick up a Hot and a Neutral is at SW1
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 10-01-2013 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gwilkrrs View Post
    ok- so here it is........................
    got it on above box feed here is the next delema. so the final box with the 4 way switch I am trying to get a feed out of for an outside light...... so I grabbed the wire and hooked it up and it works.... when the 3 way switch in the box prior is on the ext light doesn't work- 3 way off ext light is on?

question- can I feed a light from a 4way? the 4 way circuit is this..... feed to switch1, switch 1 to switch2, switch2 to switch3, switch3 to light. I want to pull a feed off switch3
    The final switch must be a 3W if it feeds the light.

And, any single screw, on it, will have power only when all the other switches are switched a certain way, as you've already discovered. Sorry.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

looks like I will pull a feed up from the receptacle below the switch for the outside light.....................