+ Reply to Thread

Default Uneven Granite Countertop

I had granite countertops installed 2 years ago. There is a seam that is right in front of my sink cutout. Over the past 2 years the seam has become uneven. The installers said that there is only a 1 year warranty on coutertop seam repairs so I am stuck trying to fix this myself (or else pay $250 for them to come in and even out a 3 inch piece of countertop!!!) Any suggestions of how i can try to even out the seam again?

There is no visible water damage to the cabinets and no obvious reason that would cause the seams to be becoming uneven. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Brian

Default Re: Uneven Granite Countertop

From the info you provided, it seems that you're out of luck, as far as the warranty.

But first find out why one side dipped. The granite sits on very solid plywood, and around the sink - there is your weak point. Maybe they didn't prepared that area properly to support the granite, creating a future problem. Anyway, don't even try to even it yourself - you will break the slab. Have the original installers do it.

If you break it you bought it - Hire a Pro. A talented Pro after you figure out what moved. Look for swollen, wet plywood.

i had this problem when my kitchen floor sank a bit due to water damage. Im afraid theres not a lot you can do. You could try shoring up the affected area however its a pretty big task.

My bros just chimed in and he says jack up the worktop, and refit the underlying cabinets making sure theyre level. you can even install a secondary worksrface underneath to give the joint something flat to lie on but again its a big job.

Granite slabs are often joined together with epoxy, a type of glue, to create countertops or other surfaces. Use a new utility knife, or attach a fresh blade to a used utility knife to ensure the sharpness of the blade. Position the blade at the back of the granite countertop and cut the slab. You can contact to countertops installer.

With granite you need a pro. One thing you mentioned doesn't set well with me using any countertop material, and that is a seam at the sink. Yes, it does lessen the seam exposure for better aesthetics but as you've discovered it leaves a weak spot in the top where it has the least support and the highest chance of support issues happening. I much prefer that the sink be cut out in the middle of a single piece as that gives it the best chance of survival. It's a question of whether you want good engineering or best aesthetics, and we all know what happens when you don't engineer well!

Phil