+ Reply to Thread

Default Round Room in 1903 House

Our dining room has five curved glass windows which are trimmed with curved window sills and trim. The baseboard is also curved to fit the curved walls.

We would like to replace the trim in this room as there is lead paint under the oil paint we used back when we bought the house in 1986. The paint has begun to chip and crack here and there. We are thinking that it may be easier to replace the trim than to have the room deleaded.

We have no children living here so that is not an issue.

Have any of you dealt with a situation like this one? Would anyone know where we might be able to buy the curved trim pieces we need? My husband has made replacement trim for the rest of the house that matches the original style.
    We are just stymied as to how we curve the trim to fit or produce trim that is already curved.

The windows themselves just have to stay as they are as the glass is fragile and expensive to replace.

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas,

Michele

Default Re: Round Room in 1903 House

i've completely restored two curved rooms in my career. the first one was many lessons learned but it came out beautiful.

it's quite a bit of work but cheaper than having new trim made by a molding shop. remove the trim, bring it to a place that dip strips wood and have them clean it up for you then reinstall it. the hardest part will be removing the old trim but it can definitely be done. we had to remove a curved base trim that was set behind the wood flooring instead of on top of it. not fun, it took me about 4-5 hours, but it was well worth the labor spent.

I have stripped a LOT of woodwork over the years, most of it done in place. I would be leery of trying to back off old brittle, curved woodwork, fearing cracking it in the process of backing it off. I did a whole Craftsman Bungalow without damaging the hardwood floors. The trick is to cover the whole area with a double layer of rosin paper. Where it is taped down, you will want to triple layer the tape, as the stripper will eat through a single layer of tape. The rosin paper can be cut to the arch of the wall with a single edge razor blade.

Frankly, if there were only minor chipping in the woodwork which only had oil paint on it, I would consider just feathering out the chips or filling them in with spackling compounds and sanding them. Wear a lead rated mask, wipe up any dust with damp paper towels, and don't use a power sander, as you won't be able to control the dust.
    The non-lead paint that you applied will prevent too much disturbance of the underlyng lead paint.

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    I would consider just feathering out the chips or filling them in with spackling compounds and sanding them. Wear a lead rated mask, wipe up any dust with damp paper towels, and don't use a power sander, as you won't be able to control the dust.
    The non-lead paint that you applied will prevent too much disturbance of the underlyng lead paint.
    Agreed- in any house this old no future buyer is going to expect it to be lead-free so there's no benefit to doing one part of it that way while the rest remains. Lead-based paint is not a serious problem unless you eat it or make a dust from it. If it's solid, professionals seal it (with the primers mentioned) to 'encapsulate' it and then apply finish coats afterward. End of problem.

If you do happen to damage any moldings beyond repair I hope you have a lot of tissue on hand as the replacement cost will bring lots of tears to your eyes, which is the best reason to not chance disturbing it.

Phil