+ Reply to Thread

Default One florescent lamp into two recessed?

I am finishing the basement of my 1950s duplex this weekend. There are currently four large commercial three tube florescent box lamps that were installed by the previous owner and completely work. However, I am looking to install two 5" LED recessed lamps where each box lamp is currently. In terms of wiring, each box lamp is wired to its own switch and that is how I would like to keep it.

What I am thinking about doing is taking the Romex wire from the switch, to a junction box where it will be split to feed power to each recessed lamp. Is this the way to do it? Is there a wiring diagram somewhere I can see that explains how to do this?

I hope that this makes sense.

Default Re: One florescent lamp into two recessed?

Quote Originally Posted by derelict View Post
    I am finishing the basement of my 1950s duplex this weekend. There are currently four large commercial three tube florescent box lamps that were installed by the previous owner and completely work. However, I am looking to install two 5" LED recessed lamps where each box lamp is currently. In terms of wiring, each box lamp is wired to its own switch and that is how I would like to keep it.

What I am thinking about doing is taking the Romex wire from the switch, to a junction box where it will be split to feed power to each recessed lamp. Is this the way to do it? Is there a wiring diagram somewhere I can see that explains how to do this?

I hope that this makes sense.
    Yes Derelict, just install a large junction box where you want your 1st light. This should also be the point where the power from the switch enters the existing switch. Once you get the 1st LED working, tie all the black wires together, same for the whites and bare (or green).

Then feed as many other LED lights as you wish from the 1st.

Just make sure the boxes can support the LED's (allmost all boxes can hold at least 6 lbs) and any junction boxes are accessible with tools and/or ladder.

Be sure to turn off the breaker before handling any wires.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Is there any way that you might be able to sketch that out for me? I dont quite understand it. Is it something like this (with like wires connected in the plastic housing)?

Quote Originally Posted by derelict View Post
    Is there any way that you might be able to sketch that out for me? I dont quite understand it. Is it something like this (with like wires connected in the plastic housing)?

Where is the power coming from? the ceiling or the switch? just 2 new lights?
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content