+ Reply to Thread

Default moving to rented townhome - need to soundproof room - autistic son's tantrums

Please help me! We have to move to a townhome. Our autistic son has terrible tantrums and screams. It's not so much of a problem now because we live in a house. But we will shortly be moving to a townhome. (no choice). How do I soundproof his room without damaging it? I don't want to get kicked out from the noise, nor do I want to get kicked out because of the noise! No neighbors downstairs. Neighbors on other side of wall. I don't have permission to rip hole in the wall, of course. Any ideas for something I can attach to the wall but that won't damage it too much?

THanks, Heather

Default Re: moving to rented townhome - need to soundproof room - autistic son's tantrums

Since you don't own this apartment, you are limited to what measures you can take to sound proof the boy's room.
    Try hanging a carpet on the walls, the way they do in recording studios. Another idea is to use stick on cork tiles.
    Good luck.

Default Re: moving to rented townhome - need to soundproof room - autistic son's tantrums

Convoluted foam on the walls, but the boy might start tearing that apart. You could use the convoluted foam covered by carpet, that would be very durable surface. Replace the room door with a solid core door with weatherstripping around the edges and a sweep on the bottom, like an exterior door. If that isn't enough, put a mirror on the exterior side of the door.

When you move out, you will need to replace the sheetrock in the room.

Very good soundproofing can be achieved by hanging old carpeting from floor to ceiling a few inches away from the wall. It's not kidproof though so it may not be your best answer. It can also be a fire hazard based on it's inherent flammability and what it covers up like heating registers etc.

Phil

There are a few options but a lot of it depends on if you own or rent the townhouse.

For the ultimate fix, you could pull the drywall, add soundproof insulation, add soundproof sheetrock and then call it done. Make sure to seal outlets with acoustical sealant as well. (you could also add the product I list next as well to make it even more soundproof)

There is also a product called Acoustiblok. It is a rubber like membrane that you apply to a wall to give 30dB of soundproofing. This is usually applied below the drywall (which could also be soundproof drywall to give more support). I assume it would also work applied to the outside of the drywall and then covered with another layer of material to block noise.

There are also acoustical tiles that can be applied to walls. These are used most often in sound booths and recording studios. They absorb sound and usually come in visually appealing shapes. They are easy to apply and might require a bit of drywall patch if you remove them. Auralex makes a wide variety of these panels.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

I would contact the property's owner and offer to "upgrade" the sound proofing between units. Be prepared to present professional estimates and what's being done.

Landlords hate surprises, and love pre-approved improvements on someone else's dime.

Plus, it's the right thing to do...