+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cleaning All Glass Showe Enclosurer

Our contractor suggested removing our cast iron tub in our 5x8 bathroom remodel and putting in an all glass shower enclosure ( we do have another bathroom with a tub). I am just very concerned with cleaning all this glass and over time looking at a lot of water spots. As we do have a lot of iron in our area. Has anyone here had one put in and is sorry and what do you wish you would have done differently? Thanks!

Default Re: Cleaning All Glass Showe Enclosurer

Use a squeegee after every shower and clean frequently and you should be ok. There are plenty of hard water spot removers on the market that work if you do not neglect the surface.
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

I would never put in an all glass shower. I put in a glass door on our shower when we remodeled. It looks great, but I got so tired of squeegeeing it that it wasn't long before I hung a shower curtain liner up behind it! Maybe if I had a house cleaning service...

I would agree with the squeegee comments, both of them. A squeegee will minimize water spots on the glass, especially when followed by a towel to dry the trim and frame. Same goes for minimizing spotting inside the shower enclosure as well. Trouble is, this is tedious, and most people tire of it in short order.

I have not found water spot/stain removers to work at all, so your best course is prevention, you can do this by applying Rain-X to your glass and metal trims, you can even coat the surround but DO NOT coat the floor. Rain-X is a polymer that makes water bead up and roll off, if no water is left to dry on the surface, it can't leave a spot/stain. What little remaining hard water does happen to dry on the surface, is still on the surface of the polymer, which means it will remove with ease. You'll find Rain-X at any auto parts store or decently stocked home center.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Also check the following Products they are high cost items.
    Delta Dry or Never Wet.

We've had good luck with Rain-x on the glass and liquid wax on the chrome faucets. It lasts about three months between treatments. We used to do the squeegee routine after every shower. It gets to be a real pain. The Rain-x makes the glass look shinier than just cleaning, too.

The only shower cleaners that I've found to be effective are ones containing phosphoric acid. I can't give you a brand name, since the only ones I've found are made and sold regionally. You can often find them at independent plumbing supply stores; I've never seen them in big box stores.

Even so, the effective chemical will depend on the mineral content of your water.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

I know some folks who can't deal with water deposits, and when the glass gets too spotty, they replace the enclosure.

I'm one of them. I have tenants who never clean. Never with a capital N. When they move out, I replace a lot of stuff, including shower enclosures. I buy rental grade stuff that looks shiny. Some people call it crap. Makes renting the place a lot easier, which is the only thing that's important to most landlords.

If using a squeegee, do not use a black rubber type. The black rubber will leave marks and streaks. Get a white rubber or clear plastic type.

Acids are great for removing soap scum, and tile grout and tile mortar.

Use liquid body wash instead of bar soap to greatly reduce soap scum.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    I would agree with the squeegee comments, both of them. A squeegee will minimize water spots on the glass, especially when followed by a towel to dry the trim and frame. Same goes for minimizing spotting inside the shower enclosure as well. Trouble is, this is tedious, and most people tire of it in short order.

I have not found water spot/stain removers to work at all, so your best course is prevention, you can do this by applying Rain-X to your glass and metal trims, you can even coat the surround but DO NOT coat the floor. Rain-X is a polymer that makes water bead up and roll off, if no water is left to dry on the surface, it can't leave a spot/stain. What little remaining hard water does happen to dry on the surface, is still on the surface of the polymer, which means it will remove with ease. You'll find Rain-X at any auto parts store or decently stocked home center.
    Really smart about the Rain X! I was thinking we used to use Lime Away for the glass in the Navy but that can't possibly be good. Jax has extremely hard water so keeping water spots at bay is a pain!