+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Correcting water in connection

Thanks for the updates. Renovations are sometimes complicated, time consuming and expensive, we know that. Just do little at a time.

- Don't mix copper with galvanized. Remove and replace all galvanized parts in there. Brass can stay.

- A stub out for a sprinkler system should be before the main water supply enters the house. Don't forget to install a shut off valve on the stub out. Also, what's the pressure at the meter?

- How far is it from the house to the water meter in the street? I'll tell you why I'm asking: I don't like it to be type K copper. I rather have type L copper.

Why are you reducing the copper pipes to half inch? You should do it all in 3\4. Typically your sprinkler contactor will want the feed for the sprinklers in one inch copper pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Thanks for the updates. Renovations are sometimes complicated, time consuming and expensive, we know that. Just do little at a time.

- Don't mix copper with galvanized. Remove and replace all galvanized parts in there. Brass can stay.

- A stub out for a sprinkler system should be before the main water supply enters the house. Don't forget to install a shut off valve on the stub out. Also, what's the pressure at the meter?

- How far is it from the house to the water meter in the street? I'll tell you why I'm asking: I don't like it to be type K copper. I rather have type L copper.
    I was shocked to see that copper/galvanized mix that's in place now. I'm planning on fixing that with this re-do.

A little more detail to help maybe... I'm in Colorado so I believe most have the connection for the sprinkler inside the house due to the winters we have. The type K flexible copper main is required by code from the meter to the house, and it's ~30 feet I believe. Pressure at the meter is 140psi.

Quote Originally Posted by bill shack View Post
    Why are you reducing the copper pipes to half inch? You should do it all in 3\4. Typically your sprinkler contactor will want the feed for the sprinklers in one inch copper pipe.
    The whole house is 1/2" except for the 3/4" main pipe from the meter. I don't plan on re-doing anything but if I did it would all be 3/4".
    Last edited by OldHomeNoob; 06-27-2014 at 04:26 PM.

Another question.. Some have recommended putting in PEX instead of the copper between the various connections I'm replacing. Is that a good idea?