+ Reply to Thread

Angry 2 hot wire ceiling fan with light fixture installation

i am install a ceiling fan with light fixture and the ceiling box has 2 sets of hot wires 2 black and 2 white and a white single and ground. my problem is i have on the ceiling fan w/light Green, black, white and blue. I live in Florida house was built in 1988. This has a light switch also. I hooked blue to white single, black to hot black and white to hot white and ground to ground. Turned on switch lights come on but ceiling fan does not operate now just makes a humming when i turned it on. This ceiling fan was already installed at this locations and i took it off to clean dust which accrued inside it an now its not working. Can someone please advise me of what i am doing wrong Please? Cant figure out what i did wrong?

Default Re: 2 hot wire ceiling fan with light fixture installation

Your description appears to be missing a wire in the box. On the fan the white is hot neutral, green is ground, black is hot to fan, and blue is hot to light.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Jack,
    I appreciate the help. From what i saw in the box 2 white together, 1 white alone, 2 blacks together, bare copper for ground. Ceiling fan does have the White, Black, Blue and Green. Does the ceiling fan White which you are saying will be hot get connected to the 2 white hot wires in box, the fan black to the 2 black hot in box, the fan blue to the 1 white single and ground to ground. I have that connected the exact same way as described and the lights come on with the switch but the ceiling fan does not come on or as i am hearing there is a little humming. Does that mean that the fan motor is shot. Please advise. It was working before i took it down but just making noise which i thought could be balancing but i guess could have been motor dying. Fan doesnt look that old but i could be wrong.
    Thanks
    Manny

Personally, I think the easiest thing to do will be to bench test the fan to see if the motor is functioning or not. With the blades off, rest the fan on its side on the housing (outer part that doesn't spin), or chuck the tube the fan hangs from in a vise. Attach a spare power cord to the fan, color to color, and plug it in, if the motor spins normally, you're good to go, if no motion, then you either have to figure out what the issue is or replace the fan.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Only guess. Blue fan wire to two blacks and light operates on pull chain, black fan to single white which is probably the return from the switch, should have power when switch is on. White fan to two whites and green to ground. I just don't understand why you don't have an equal number of black and white wires in the ceiling box.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

To All,
    I appreciate the help and i tested the fan out and found out the the forward & reverse switch on the fan was not working properly. I replaced the fan and hooked it all up and it working great. Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated.
    Manny

TIP: take a pic of the wire hookup BEFORE you remove the fan for cleaning or replacement.

I just finished taking down a cheap fan, dusted it off, reversed the blade surface, and painted it flat black.

Looks like a million bucks - or at least the $99 for a new black one I could've bought instead.
    Last edited by daspyda; 09-23-2013 at 01:48 PM.