+ Reply to Thread

Question Tiling around switches with uneven tiles

I have big tiles 13x16 that have a smaller 2x4 tile in the center. The problem is that the center tile is not flat. So on my wall the switches end up with only part of one side on the thicker center tile so when you put the face plate on there is a big gap around most of the tile. I cant move the switches in this wall what are some of the solutions ? I tried rearranging the tiles but it won't line up for all the face plates.
    Thanx Trevor

Default Re: Tiling around switches with uneven tiles

Hold your irregular tiles back to the edge of where the cover plates will be. If they are already installed, use a angle grinder with a diamond blade and carve the ridge down so that the plates sit flat to the wall, again, just back to the edge of the cover plate.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

To do what spruce recommends,you need the right grinder, a steady hand and lots of patience, otherwise you'll ruin the tiles.

Another possible option: use an oversize cover plate, then caulk the gaps around the cover plate.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    To do what spruce recommends,you need the right grinder, a steady hand and lots of patience, otherwise you'll ruin the tiles.
    The cover plate should hide most goofs, assuming this has to be done on the wall. If the tile isn't installed yet, then you simply cut them shorter on the wet saw, easy-peasy.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

They make face plates in natural stones, marbles, granites, travertines, onyx, glass, metal, plastic......

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    They make face plates in natural stones, marbles, granites, travertines, onyx, glass, metal, plastic......
    Yes HR, but that still doesn't solve the poster's problem of having uneven surface for the cover plate.

Use some spacers or washers to hold the switch out from the wall a little further than normal -- like about 1/16" or so. This will result in a gap around the entire plate. Place some masking tape on the back side of the plate, then grout around the plate. The masking tape will help keep the grout from sticking to the plate.

Maybe. I haven't ever tried this. I haven't ever seen it done. But, it seemed like a good idea at the time.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.