+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Chipping out a little ceramic tile

I made a not paying enough attention mistake when I was tiling around an electrical outlet and covered the the top screw hole of the box. I was proud of cutting the tile with a half inch leg on one side the first time without breaking it.
    I need to chip away about a quarter inch to be able to use the screw hole. I've been working on it with a Dremel with a small toothed wheel and another with a ribbed ball, but the tile is too hard or the metal too soft.
    Any idea what I can grind away a little tile with? Not going to remove the tile set in thin set mortar.
    I'll keep trying what I have, but I'm guessing a trip to the hardware store may be in order.

Default Re: Chipping out a little ceramic tile

Luckily ed, you have choices:

1. Tile pliers - they are made for chipping.
    2. abrasive tile blade that goes on your hacksaw.

Do not use a hammer, a chisel or a brother in law, they will break the tile.

I'm in the middle of tiling a shower this week and I had to do some precision cutting around the drain. A lot of fun.

Get some cut off wheels for your dremel, you'll be able to slice in a "V" to access the screw hole, or make a series of kerf cuts until you get a wide enough slot over the hole.

Another option would be a masonry blade in an angle grinder, again, nibble what you need to access the hole, you don't need to remove a section of tile, only what you need to access the hole.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

The tile is already set, so no nippers or hack saw blades can get in there. I think I need to check out what other abrasive cutters can fit into a drill. My Dremel is old and battery powered and not very powerful. Luckily this is in my kitchen so I can take my time sort of. Worse comes to worse, I could chip out the tile and redo it.
    Ps. I tried some cutoff wheels in the Dremel and it mostly smoked. After using a tile saw, you forget how hard tile is. I don't have an angle grinder, but maybe a grinding wheel I can fit into a drill will work.
    Brother in law only good for woodworking, so no issues there.
    Last edited by ed21; 08-20-2014 at 08:39 PM.

Maybe they make a diamond-coated grinding burr of the right size, that will abrade the ceramic or even porcelain/stone away quickly, with a surprising plume of dust. Aha: http://www.amazon.com/Large-Diamond-.../dp/B003ZRO9LQ
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Diamond coated may be the ticket.

Make sure you keep the speed as low as you can without smoking your motor.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

This may be a very stupid idea coming from a non-pro. Could you drill into the tile to chip it off? This TOH article has how to drill into tile.
    http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/skil...203839,00.html

What will work for you then is what Spruce said about using a masonry bit.

I've found that in drilling into tile, I like to start with a small bit and then go to a larger bit.

this may not be what you want to hear but it sounds like some of these ideas are going to take a lot of time, going out to buy specialty stuff and spending a half hour or more getting the job done if it even works. replacing a tile takes less than a half hour and it's a relatively simple process. that's what i'd do. if you decide to replace it, cut the hole so that the ears/tabs of the outlet sit on top of the tile.......and i'm assuming that you have a few extra tiles for replacement.