+ Reply to Thread

Default Scraping paint for 2 years now!

My husband is scraping every bit of the paint off our 150 year old home. It's going on 2 years now. He has gone through 2 hot guns. He has almost half of the house done. He puts primer on the part he's finished. He hasn't reached the top yet that has fish scales and a big front porch with rails and posts that have been painted over and over for years.
    My question; does anyone know of a faster, better way of doing this? I know a pressure washer helps get the peeling paint off, but like I said, he's taking even the smooth off too with a sc****r. I appreciate any suggestions! We are painting it dark gray/ taupe with light aqua shutters.

Default Re: Scraping paint for 2 years now!

unfortunately, short of shingle or clapboard replacement, there is not a quick and easy way to remove paint. they do make an electric paint sc****r but i've seen them do more harm than good in unskilled hands.

Quote Originally Posted by MLB Construction View Post
    unfortunately, short of shingle or clapboard replacement, there is not a quick and easy way to remove paint. they do make an electric paint sc****r but i've seen them do more harm than good in unskilled hands.
    Thank you. He has had to replace a few boards, but he will not even talk about vinyl siding.

There are chemical strippers on the market which are relatively safe and easy to use. They are applied to the surface and work by breaking the bond of the old paint to the wood. The old paint just zips right off the next day. This product was profiled on TOH several years ago. I don't recall the name of the product the were using. The down side is that they are very expensive. The up side is that they are not caustic and don't requre protectve gear.

On the TOH episode the product was applied with an airless sprayer by a fellow totally without protective gear. It was allowed to sit over night. The next day, the old paint just zipped right off with a putty knife.

Working for 2 years to remove old paint and be only 50% done - is borderline slavery.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Working for 2 years to remove old paint and be only 50% done - is borderline slavery.
    It's also CDO, but I'd bet that the job is going to be very well done with that kind of extreme attention to detail given. Meticulous prepwork always pays off when painting- it is the most important part of the job!

Phil

There must be similar homes in your area, ask the local pro painters for some advice. Maybe they'll give you a fair price on removing the last 50%. Unless your hubby really loves scraping, it might be worth having a pro finish the job.