+ Reply to Thread

Default refurbish gas stove

I have an old gas stove that I really like. It has four burners, a large oven and a real broiler at the bottom. However, I am concerned about possible gas leaks and ash buildup in the burners. What kind of service can I contact to refurbish this stove? Any Suggestions? Thanks!

Default Re: refurbish gas stove

an appliance repairman can check it out to make sure it's safe to use. getting it refurbished or restored will take some homework on your part to see if you have anyone local that does that kind of work.

You have a very good idea. Old stoves functioned without circuit boards for many years. Ask any grandma, she'll tell you how good the cooking used to be.

I'm sure that you can make new burners fit your stove. Attached and assembled properly, there should not be a risk of a gas leak.

If I were looking to do this, I'd first check on the cost and availability of replacement parts. If that comes up looking good enough, then I'd disassemble, clean, and inspect what's there now. Expect some fittings to break, especially small cast iron or steel ones, even if you are as gentle as you can be- the heating/cooling cycles can be like welding once corrosion sets in over time. Reassemble using gas-approved thread compound as needed. Check for leaks before you enclose anything. Check the burner valves for leaks in closed, partially open, and fully open positions. Watch the operation for any anomalies and if it seems OK then it probably is. Do look for rust, and if there's any which may have weakened and gas-bearing areas, replace that part. If you can, it never hurts to drain the drip-leg of the feed pipe- this is probably under the house and will require shutting off the gas at the meter. If you find more than a few drops of water, go ahead and drain them all; there will be one at every gas appliance (or there should be).

I personally doubt that you're going to have to do much more than some cleaning of the jet areas where the gas emerges to combust. You may want to replace any restrictor orifices you find just to know they're in spec. With the low pressure of house gas and the generally robust construction of older stoves, it's usually the cabinet that goes away first, not the working parts. And one of the nice things about these old stoves is that you can use them even when the power is out- and that can be a great relief when a storm settles in longer than you wanted it to!

Phil