+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Colorado Flooding - Need Floor Advice Please!

A direct bonded tile floor will survive a flood of Biblical proportions.

After hurricane Ike we simply picked up the fish, scrubbed the floors, and life continued.

Default Re: Colorado Flooding - Need Floor Advice Please!

Unless there has always been a moisture issue, I think it can safely be re-carpeted once the ground dries out underneath everything, which may take awhile. Since money is tight that's the cheapest alternative. The tack-strips come out relatively easily if you use the straight end of the flatbar centered on the fastening nail and tap on the other end with a hammer. Prying in between just makes for lots of pieces and lots of stuck nails to attack after you get the loose pieces out of the way. Look for the fastening nails to be about 6" apart. If you go back with carpet the contractor will usually want to install new tack strips anyway; this is covered in the standard installation price around here.

Yes. tile will be more permanent and less susceptible to water damage, but do you want to live with a cold, hard floor in your bedroom? Everyone I know who has tried this has had to put rugs over the tile eventually and now understands why you almost never see this done. Tile is great where it belongs- kitchens, baths, porticoes, porches, and entryways. Other flooring materials are more applicable elsewhere.

Remember that you will (hopefully) never see a repeat of this event or even anything close to it, so that is what I would plan for. This was freak weather and 1000 year flooding of proportions unseen by living mortals there, so you can probably safely bet on not seeing it happen again. And if that does happen by then you'll hopefully be better off financially with insurance to cover this- check with your insurance agent to see what to do on that. Some companies will carry a flood rider if the Government-backed flood insurance will not cover you; asking is free.

Phil