My bedroom used to be the garage in my 1930s bungalow, so it has a cement floor. Before moving in, I had new carpet put down. Half of the carpet and pad are now wet and ruined, thanks to the non-stop deluges we've been suffering through here in Colorado. My house is built up against a hillside, and water has seeped into the bedroom from the hill behind me. It's pretty hard to tell exactly where it's coming from, but that's a moot point. The water stopped halfway into the room, I guess because of the angle or level of the floor ... not really sure.

I've pulled the carpet back to where the dry starts and removed the wet padding, and can now see the old garage floor - what fun. I now have that indoor pool I've always wanted.

Here's my question. Now that I know what I'm up against when we get heavy rains, I'm thinking I should 86 the carpet - so I'm considering tiles. Can tile be installed over a cement floor? Would rain still be a problem if I went that route? What would have to happen with the cement before it could be tiled over? Is there a certain kind of tile that's better for this application?

Also, is there anything I can do immediately to help keep at least some of the moisture from seeping through. A corner in my closet is where some rain came through - the wallboard is wet and damaged ... anything I can put over it as a quick fix?

Well, any and all advice will be welcome. I can't do anything for awhile, so I'm thinking I'll just pull all of the carpet up - then I'll just have to live with the garage floor until I figure out what I want to do. I just don't think it makes sense to put the carpet back .... does it?