+ Reply to Thread

Question Getting rid of holly sprouts

I have a few holly bushes that are planted close to the house. I've constantly had to trim them so they don't get out of control but I keep getting little holly sprouts in the yard and close to the side of the house. I definitely don't want more of these plants as they are not the most enjoyable to keep up with but can't get rid of the sprouts. I've tried to pull them out but they break off at the root, tried round-up but all that did was turn the leaves brown. Any ideas of how to get rid of the new growth that seems to have a mind of it's own?

Default Re: Getting rid of holly sprouts

These are probably saplings that sprout from the roots of the existing bushes. Short of completely removing all traces of holly on the property, the best you'll be able to do is cut them off as they sprout.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Thanks fencepost. Since I can't remove the whole bush I'll keep tackling every sprout as they turn up. Definitely not going to have any holly's at my next house

You could install an isolation barrier between the flower bed where the holly resides and the yard. I'm not certain how deep a holly roots go, but you could pretty easily dig a narrow trench with a trenching shovel and install corrugated galvanized metal. I'd also top this with a decorative brick or cement lawn edging to hide the metal and give a nice finished look to the lawn and beds.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!