+ Reply to Thread

Default oily water = ice melt???

found some standing water in basement, assume it came from storm a few days back. Running a dehumidfier didnt really dry it out over past day so got in there with wetvac today and have a fan blowing over it too. It looks like the water is "oily" and it actually beads up on the concrete floor like quicksilver. It appears that the water got into a bag of ice melt (calcium chloride). Would ice melt cause this behavior in the water???
    trying to figure out if i need to find another explanations.
    thanks
    n

Default Re: oily water = ice melt???

sounds really bad, i've never heard of ice melt would be oily water. that's really weird

Default Re: oily water = ice melt???

Quote Originally Posted by nipseyrussell View Post
    It looks like the water is "oily" and it actually beads up on the concrete floor like quicksilver.
    n
    If the concrete has had a sealer applied to it, this is normal as the sealer has made it impervious to water allowing it's surface tension properties to create beading since it has nothing else to stop that action. Kind of like the way water beads when you wash your car. I can't say about the oily appearance but if you have any oil-fired appliances check them for leaks. A little fuel oil will spread a long way on top of water!

Phil